New Black Cloud?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Apr 18, 2017.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Has anyone here tried the new and improved black cloud loads? Different wad, cleaner powder, better water resistance, etc. I'm thinking about buying a case just for the hell of it. They are supposed to pattern 36-41% better and be more consistent.

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

What is the new wad? The flight control wad was the only good part of the old black cloud.

3. buck_master_2001

4. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Now if they just replaced the 40% unfinished pellets with nice round ones. It would be a decent shell.

Tuleman, grnhd, JP and 3 others like this.
  5. DuckyPhe

DuckyPhe Senior Refuge Member

The big advantage to the new wad is that there is no concern when shooting them thru the gimmick chokes. I'm going to clean up on the discontinued old ones this fall when they go on clearance. The 3" 3's pattern awesome out of my gun and choke.

Chris

Ringbill likes this.
  6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If you could actually get different results from different constriction chokes with them it would be nice, as it is your limited to when the wad decides it's going to release the shot.

7. buck_master_2001

Not even just ported chokes but all chokes. Federal says the old shells were very inconsistent. They also changed out the powder as well.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

What they found out is at high velocities the Flite Control and Blindside type wads were starting to vibrate or wobble in flight, the ballistics gurus attributed it to shock waves produced by the less than aerodynamic shape of the front of the wads. This new wad may have fixed that problem.

9. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Looks pretty good to me!!

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Some of you fellas will believe most everything you read , I see ? For 40 yd shoot'n and having to use 3 1/2" ammo to do it , with what they describe as
    a spreader load , is laughable ! With a better selection of a choke tubes constriction , it's easy to accomplish the same performance . One thing I've always
    thought is , as this wad was exiting the barrel of any gun like a knuckle ball , when the air-brake flaps popped open ( sometimes one before the other ) it
    would throw the load off course and not be inline with your POA ? Plus , those belted looking pellets fighting the resistance of air-pressure ( not to say , the
    effects of a windy day ) would have a lot to do with keeping these pellets going straight ? Plain old round steel shot is where its at coming out of the right
    (tested) choke tube without all the snake-oil talk , is what I believe !

grnhd, JP, Ringbill and 2 others like this.