New Boat Questions

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Ejm4, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Ejm4

Ejm4 New Member

Let's preface this post... New to waterfowl hunting, but not boating.

Looking to purchase a boat for my son, dog and I to use for waterfowl. I have seen the budget conscious model like a Lowe up to the fancy Prodigy boats. I am not sure what style of boat to buy...

We are on lease that has spots in MD & DE. The majority of the time the boat will be use to go up the rivers, etc to get to the blind and not so much to hunt out of.

1. Do I need a side console, center console or a plain old tiller style?
    2. Do I need a boat that has the pods on the rear?
    3. I was thinking something in the 16-16 foot range would be the correct size?
    Any advice or things to think about would be helpful.

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Most duck hunters, I think, prefer tiller handle motors. Consoles take up a lot of room that could otherwise be used for decoys. And, tillers are much easier to steer when picking up decoys.

Two people and a dog are fine in most 16 foot boats.

Don't go cheap.

BobGlover and Ejm4 like this.
  3. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

For 2 guys and a dog on a river a 16ft tiller with a 25-40hp motor would be just fine. No pods needed. I have a Lowe 1648 modified V with a 25hp Johnson. I bought it 10 years ago. It's been a good boat.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

What is the width and water depth on these rivers? small back waters or large open water?
    If rocky and shallow with limited vegetation you might want a jet drive O.B. if it's deep open water stick with an O.B. If it's shallow silted in with stumps a mud motor might be your best bet.
    We need more info, please.

5. Ejm4

Ejm4 New Member

They are coastal / bay waters so must are going to be a sandy and mud bottom. Depth can be anywhere from 10 feet to a mud flat when the tide goes out.

6. callinfowl

Sounds like we hunt the same type of tidal area's.
    I hunt the Cal. Delta. Fresh/brakish tidal river convegences.
    We don't hunt out of the boat very often at all, we use the boat to taxi out to the island that we hunt. We cross about 1/2 mile of wide rive andr shipping lanes then run into a shallow water tule marsh. Where we have to go about a mile into super shallow sloughs and mud flats and choked out sloughs covered in hyacinth. Our boat of choice is a 1754 prodrive with a 32hp prodrive mud motor. With 2 big guys one dog guns and blind bags the 32 hp pd works out fine. Although it would be nice to have a little more low end power at times. The 32hp works fine with our load but add 3rd guy and a second dog and it really bogs it down. With 2 guys 1 dog and gear, we can run 25 to 28 mph , with another guy and a dog it bogs down to about 15mph.
    We've pushed fishing boats off of mud flats and pulled them out of shallow sloughs. The combo we have is a work horse, that works out great for where we run it. The only thing it really sucks at is running in whitecaps and 2 to 3 footers, in those conditions it stays on the trailer.
    Hope you find what you are looking for in a boat.
    Tiller all the way, unless you are wanting a combo hunting and fishing boat. Then a side console is nice.
    Good luck.

Ejm4 likes this.
  7. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I run a 9 yr. old 1648 Alumacraft Jon powered by a Mud Buddy 45. Its rated for 5 people. Use it to haul up to 5 hunters back and forth to our pontoon blind, which is three miles up a very shallow sand bottom river. With a full load it will plane out at 21-23 mph.

Attached Files:

Ejm4 likes this.
  8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like the areas I do most of my hunting in. I've had a Lowe 1760 Mod-V bought new in 2002, and it works well. On the tidal areas, I hunt 90% from the boat, so it's nice to have the room in the 17'. I use an outboard (currently a 50),although a 40 would be plenty on mine. I put a "Macs River Runner" to help protect the prop from any deadheads I might come across.

Ejm4 likes this.
  9. callinfowl

Ok, I have to ask about this one. How does the M.R.R. protect you from the deadheads? :scratch:l:l

10. Ejm4

Ejm4 New Member

Thoughts on War Eagle?