Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

New boat

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Duane Read, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Duane Read

Duane Read Senior Refuge Member

Just sold my duck boat since it's the end of season and have found 2 boats that I can't decide on. The first one is a 19dlx Carolina skiff with a 40hp tiller on the back and the other is a 1800 Maycraft skiff with a 90hp Yamaha on the back. I hunt along the bay and also on seaside. The draft difference between the two is about 4-5". This boat will be used as both a hunting boat and family boat. Looking for any input you guys may have on either boat

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I think a 19 ft carolina skiff is underpowered with a 40.

3. Duane Read

That's what I think too. He said that it will do 18-20 knots depending on load but I would want at least a 60 or 70 tiller on it

4. FinchDude

FinchDude Refuge Member

My 16 Carolina skiff with 40 Honda can get overloaded and almost can't get on plane. Can't imagine a 19 with 40. I say no way!

5. Duane Read

I have found a 70hp tiller that I could possible try to get but that is just other thing that I would have to do. I like the thought of the maycraft but never hunted in one

6. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

I have owned a lot of boats. Lots....

Had and hunted out of a 19 Carolina w 50 Yamaha for many years. Was a great rig. Went everywhere in it, killed lots of birds, caught lots of fish. 50 was fine- and I had A custom fiberglass blind I made, that was covered in fastgrass. With 4 guys and 8 doz decoys (big 90# chocolate too) never really left me wanting more power. Swapped it out for a privateer 18, god I loved that boat (don't have that either anymore)

Haven't owned a maycraft 18, but I did have a bigger one for 10 years. Have ridden in one a few times though. Their builds are not pretty at times but they are functional for the most part. However The 18's I have been around have always had lots of stress cracks in the gel coat. The 18 has a large front deck that takes up too much room along with the big console and rear storage pods. Not a lot of deck space in my opinion. I like boats with large, flat floors. That said it will ride a little bit better than the skiff- but surprisingly not that much in a chop. Yes it has some bow vee, but it's pretty flat in the rear.

If those are the only 2 boats you ar looking at, I would get the skiff.

7. Duane Read

Thank you for the input! Anything you didn't like about the skiff?

8. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Added a 19 ft Carolina skiff to the quiver this year. Running a 60 2 stroke Johnson on it with a center console and a center seat. Wasn't sure while I was working on it, but I absolutely love it. Carries a ton of decoys, people, gear, etc...that 40 ain't gonna get it done.

Duane Read likes this.
  9. Duane Read

I love the space the skiffs have

10. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

My dad has the 19'8 dlx carolina skiff with a 60 yamaha and with just me and him and duck hunting gear and dog it flys