Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

New boat

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Duane Read, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Duane Read

Duane Read Senior Refuge Member

I'm really stepping up my set up from what I'm use to so I have no idea really what to get. From a family aspect the maycraft is the choice but from hunting the skiff would be better. I'm going to go look at the maycraft this weekend and see if I can make it work for hunting. If not I'm going to check out the skiff and then see if I can get a deal on a bigger motor for it

2. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

Don't be in a rush. Drive and ride in a bunch of boats. Find what you want, search and wait for the right one- then go get it.

Unless it's an absolute steal don't be in a rush to buy a boat you plan to re-power.

3. Duane Read

The maycraft I'm looking at is a steal if I get it. That boat won't need to be repowered at all and is in awesome shape. I have always had Jon boats so moving up to this style is a big jump for me

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

When the weather and water gets schmitty, me thinks I’d rather have something more substantial than a jon boat or even a carolina skiff style boat, something with more freeboard, higher bow and V bottom.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

CG- I recall that it rolled in the slip. Did you ever figure out what did that. Was it snow or a dock line got hung or something else?

6. Duane Read

Well I went and looked at the maycraft today and I think I have made mind up. I think it will serve me perfect what all I use my boat for year around

7. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

It doesn’t matter what you buy. You will figure it out and love it. Anything we can do to help, let us know

8. Duane Read

Thanks! Just have to figure out how I'm going to hunt it, whether it will be just transportation or putting a blind of some kind on it

9. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

You have now experienced the best day of boat ownership- the day you buy it...

Seriously, I'm happy for you. Put some pics up.

10. Duane Read

Haven't bought it yet, but I will be buying it. This probably my 5th duck boat since I have gotten out on my own. Each one an improvement from the last. This one will be around for a while when I get it.