New Browning A5 white bead

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BYD, Dec 23, 2017.

1. BYD

BYD New Member

I checked out some shotguns the other day and the A5 had a white bead half up the barrel what's the purpose of it, I liked it. 28 and 30 inch barrels

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

line up the two beads when you shoot. target shooters like the two beads.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Many of today's modern shotgun have two beads. The purpose is just as Bwana said.

4. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Refuge Member

I did not think I would be a fan of it when I got my new A5, however I very quickly changed my mind. I find it really helps me acquire my target quicker, which in turn makes for some really pretty shots while shooting the Sweet Sixteen next to the 12s.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Any time you are looking at the beads, you're not acquiring the target.
    Clay shooters...at least of the American persuasion... can utilize two beads because they are able to pre-mount the gun, look at the beads, line them up, then focus out where they expect to see the bird. Two beads are not nearly as much help for hunters.

ronaldo and GUNNERX2 like this.
  6. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Once I mount the gun, the rest is moving my body/gun to match the target. Now, I'm not not expert shot and don't shoot much sleet but, I wouldn't feel handicapped at all, if there wasn't a bead on the barrel at all.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Double beads are great for clay games but in a hunting application not so much. When you mount the gun to shoot a feathered bird, it should be lined up and you should be looking at the bird not at beads. The front bead on my SX2 was knocked off years ago and I've not replaced it.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Finally, an honest answer to the 'bead' controversy.
    There is nothing wrong with 2 beads. YOU may not need them, and I DO agree, they don't normally come into play while hunting.

As Tuleman states, clay shooters use them to assure the gun is mounted properly. Just a slight upward angle on the barrels, and you will shoot high. Depending on the shooter, you might see a figure 8, or just the white bead. Regardless, once you learn the proper mount, you look for that each time.

A hunter might also use it on a cripple. Helps to line up the pattern with the head, instead of the entire body, especially on closer shots. I guess we shouldn't mention swat shots, after you let em land. :fp :eek: :dv

I see posts all the time, guys knocking the bead off first thing. Seems silly to me. If you don't look at the bead when you shoot, what does it matter?

Tuleman likes this.