new camera lens/body

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by longshot, Jan 23, 2018.

1. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

I am new to photography and was wanting peoples input. I am thinking a canon 80D with the 70-200L 4F non IS lens. The lens I am pretty sure on, but the body is the part I can not decide on. I was looking at the 77D, but keep going back to the 80D. What are peoples thoughts on this?

thanks
    longshot

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I have that exact set-up except that I have the IS version of that lens. I love it.

I started with the 70-200F4L lens without IS and hated it - sold it almost immediately and got the IS version and haven't looked back. It's tough to keep shutter speeds above 1/250' but with the IS version you can shoot 1/40' with ease.

3. longshot

I have thought a lot about the is vs non is. All my photography experience has been non IS up to this point. I will be shooting BIF while hunting and out taking pics. For the other still shots i will use some type of rest. Using a rest is something that is second nature to me. I will NOT shoot a rifle without some type of rest so it has become automatic to me. High shutter speeds will be less of a problem because i take pics in broad daylight typically. I am very fortunate live less than 30 min. From a NWR and two conservation areas.

4. longshot

If i go to an IS lense it would be the canon EF 70-300 IS USM II. The problem I think with a non L series lense for me is i am an art teacher. My mind and eye spends all day looking at fine detail and picking out the slightest color change. I think a non L series lens would drive me nuts because of lack of quality in the photos.

5. Gude

Gude Elite Refuge Member

I've read good reviews about the 80D body. I previously had a 70D and it is a very good camera for the $. You'll learn the limitations - low light, heavy post processing adjustments etc. I believe the 80D performs much better.
    On the lens, IMO, look at picking up a used 100-400. The old "pump" version of the lens, which I still use, can be picked up for $800 or less. You're not giving up much on the low end vs a 70-200, but you're picking up a considerable amount going from 200-400. And if you're looking at an F4 anyway, you'll be giving up very little in aperture.

I had a 70-200f4 non-IS when I started into photography. I found out very quickly that it was not going to be enough lens for what I was looking to do - exactly the same stuff you're doing.

The old pumper still does very well.