New clays gun

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Dec 26, 2017.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Trading in my old Citori for a new clays gun. Looking for an autoloader with decent wood and blued/shiney metal. Big Remington guy so right now I'm debating between an Remington 1100 or a Browning Maxus. Just can't decide if I want to add another Remington to the collection or if I should diversify a bit. Open to other brands as well. Mostly used for sporting clays and trap. Go.

2. the_dude

the_dude Elite Refuge Member

IMO, the Remington 1100 is not a very well balanced gun (extremely barrel heavy) making them a less than desirable trap gun. They don't swing and track as smoothly as I'd like. Plus, the stock has about as much shape/contour of a 2x4 which I've found leads to picking up my head with repeated shooting in one day (I had cheek bruises to prove it). I've never shot a Browning Maxus, so I can't help there. I have shot a Browning BPS for a couple of years for trap with less than desirable results. That, however, was due to that gun just not fitting me well. My trap gun is a Beretta AL 391 Urika and I like it very much. It is a very well balanced gun. Swings fantastic and has pretty minimal kick, which is important when you are potentially rapping off a couple hundred shots in a day. Switching from the BPS to that gun brought my 100 bird trap average up double digit birds. I went from a blah shooter to high bird average on my team with nothing more than a gun change.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

The clay guys really like the A400 by Beretta. That or a Fabarm LS5. Or you could do what most of us do and just shoot your fowl gun. Helps with muscle memory.

4. woodiefanatic

That's why I want a semi. I can't hit shnit with the o/u but if I grab the Versa Max I shoot pretty good. Shooting one gun all summer and fall is pretty boring tho so I want another gun. I know the 1100 fits me as my dad has one. I shoot the weight forward Remington's well. Just kinda looking for something different as I have 2 Remington 12 gauges already. If anyone had a Maxus that I can shoot a few shells through I can give you a case of beer.

5. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

If you like REms. take a look at the V3'.

6. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

I have a v3 you can try. As far as a maxus, they are nice guns but I will never buy one because you cannot put an extension on it. I would shoot the Versamax for trap and buy a 10 or 20 just because.

7. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

What do you think of the v3?

8. woodiefanatic

V3 would be a nice gun but I'm looking for something a little flashier. Pretty much 1100 or Maxus. Gun would pretty much be a dedicated clays gun and maybe an occasional upland hunt. I already have 2 field guns that handle my use and abuse.

9. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Details on the Citori,
    Barrel length
    Choked or fixed
    2 3/4” , 3” , 3.5” ?
    Field stock or Mc,
    Pictures and price.

I shoot a A400
    Have the field and sporting versions, your more than welcome to shoot them, we have a great local sporting course.

10. woodiefanatic

26" barrel Field grade Citori 90%. I have the original chokes and an extended set. $900 obo
    IMG_20160611_093509500.jpg