New clays gun

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Dec 26, 2017.

1. cousin eddie

cousin eddie Senior Refuge Member

I have a maxus you can try if you are ever in the Appleton area.

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I've had a Remington 12ga 1100 TB trap with a 30" fixed modified choke barrel since 1979. It does not have a Monte Carlo stock but has a high gloss finnish. It's a shooting machine. Back in the 90s, my trap league average was 48/50 with cheap reloads. Thousands of rounds have been shot through this gun and I've never changed an O ring. It's an extremely reliable gun perfect for trap. It's a good gun for sporting clays only if you start with the gun high not low because of the trap stock.

Personally I use my hunting guns for sporting clays. Something different every week. And I start with the gun low.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  3. road kill

road kill Senior Refuge Member

I don't think you can beat a Ciitori or some variation for clays.

I have a Browning Citori Waterfowler Special.
    Shoots 3.5" for waterfowl, still has the same balance of the Citori of old!

I shoot 5 stand league, don't see very many semi's.

But, you can never have enough shotguns!

4. Kevin WI

Kevin WI Moderator Moderator

I picked up a 20ga Tri Star auto.....sweet little gun for the price.....haven't missed with it yet!

5. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info, was hoping for a longer barrel.

6. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Honestly the short barrel is why I think I can't hit with it. I'm a bit of a brute and I tend to shoot longer heavier guns well. The 26" barrel on an O/U is an incredibly short gun. Probably 6"-8" shorter than my autos. Found a sweet deal on a used 1100 that would be about an even trade so I'm going to check that out I think. I just really have an addiction to buying guns. Especially semiautomatic shotguns.

7. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

I hear you, on both points, being 6-4 and a elder, I prefer Heavy long barreled guns myself, and I have trouble walking by a good deal on a gun. Before you get rid of the Citori shot me a P.M. one of my blind mates is interested.

8. duckyoda

duckyoda Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a 28" Citori White Lightning, for trap, when the weather is dry skies. If it is raining/misting I shoot my Browning Maxus(3.5" chamber, 26" barrels, extended chokes, filled with dummy rounds loaded full of lead shot, with the magazine cutoff on). The only thing that stops our trap league is lightning, and even that needs to be close, and frequent. So I have to have a foul weather gun, or expect to detail strip my Citori when it gets wet. This last year I didn't shoot well, but that has more to do with my lack of time to apply to better, and more, practice than what I was shooting. Actually my scores were better with the Maxus, which had my team mates questioning why I didn't just shoot the Maxus. I have been top gun for my team a few years, but not last year. This year I am going to shoot more and often. I have a Remington 1100, and a Remington 11-87, and both have been retired. Not sure why, as I shot them very well. The 1100 is in full retirement, but the 11-87 has been turned into a tactical shotgun, with a mag extension, a Choate pistol grip stock, loaded with a bunch of #4 Buck. That one is a hoot to shoot. :dv

Anyway, I see a bunch of Rem. 1100s, at the trap range, so there are shooters that find them to their liking for trap. I would shoot my Maxus, if I ever grow tired of the Citori. But the Citori is the closest shotgun I can shoot, on the clays range, to my waterfowl gun, a Browning Gold 10. I do have a Beretta A400, in 28 gauge, that I shoot well, too. But I have never warmed to the weird Italian engineering that is the Beretta line of shotguns. It works, but it is weird. The only reason I own one, is IMHO it is the best 28 ga. auto-loader out there, and I am very fond of that little bore, for grouse and woodcock.

Probably one to look at that didn't get mentioned yet, is the Winchester SX-3, or SX-4. Very solid shotguns designed, and built by FN, for Winchester. If I ever sell my Maxus, it will get replaced by a Winchester SX-3/SX-4. I have a SX-3, in 20 ga., and if I would have purchased that before I bought the Maxus, I would have bought the SX-3 in 12 ga, instead of the Maxus. Very similar design, without the magazine cutoff of the Maxus, which is of little use to me, and substantially lower price tag.

So in all of this rambling, I guess the best advise is shoot all of the auto loaders you can, and don't worry about what others recommend, but rather go with the one you like the feel of the best. If it can double as your hunting shotgun, all the better, but IMHO, not a requirement.

Duck Yoda of the Big Lake Billy Blasters Assoc.

9. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

I like it. Shoots well. Low recoil. I don’t care for the carrier or how tough it is to get shells past detent in magazine.

10. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

X4 the same way. Fast cycling gun. Want to push shells in faster. Hang up sucks.