New Dakota Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Ringbill, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

A hunting buddy called me this morning, all interested in buying some of these Dakota Decoy-----"new keel style" floater mallards. He says they claim they move easily in a breeze, float in thin water, & can be used on mudflats & ice because they have a flat bottom.
    It all sounds great------doesn't it?
    He's ready to spring for a bunch soon.
    Any ideas or feedback?

Ringbill

2. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

i bought a six pack because i wanted the variety. i like them a lot. back in the day, Drake waterfowl had the same keel concept and they worked great. as advertised. the dakotas are a much better decoy and look so much better with the same keel concept. i will add more, i am sure.

Ringbill likes this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

My question would be "How do they handle strong winds?"

4. Hossdog

i had the drake waterfowl keel system in a rice field blind set up all year. never once had a tipped decoy.

5. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Did you ever throw one of those drake decoys? I would bet $100 you couldn't get one to land keel side down. They always ended up upside down. Great little decoys that rode the water well, but unusable when putting out more than a dozen or two.

6. Hossdog

i never had any issues with the drake decoys at all other i felt the color changed because they were left out all season. they did not chip or flake off, it just changed. i do not recall any issues with throwing them out and flipping or not flipping over. i remember the overall experience of using them being a good one so i like the concept and i am glad dakota went in that direction. the only reason why i stopped using the drake years back because i felt there were better looking decoys on the market..........not performance related issues.

7. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

I had the drake decoys also an never used the keel, they were my very shallow/quiet water decoys. Like Rick said to much wind is a bad thing for that design, but in lighter wind they did move nicely.

Ringbill likes this.
  8. ipittythefoo

ipittythefoo New Member

The drake decoys never land right side up when tossing them from a boat. The clips for wrapping the decoy line break off or the decoy deforms if you wrap the cord too tight.