New DSD Honkers

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I feel like a Capt. Obvious crack might be in order, but will, instead, post photos I have of a then virtually new DSD speck (which never had remotely the painting care and detail of their marketing photos at that time) beside a Dakota:

decoys017.jpg
    decoys023.jpg

Would certainly like to think that what folks get with today's updated version is more like what's shown on the site than what I got was then.

But my point in posting the first photo was simply that I believe the statement quoted with it to be false. There are other really nice decoys out there, and we can thank DSD for being one of the driving forces behind that.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    brentbullets likes this.
  2. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

You don't think Bigfoot deserves a little credit for making a fullbody that ac tually looks like a goose.Sure DSD are nice but I think other makers stepped up long before them.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Sure they deserve "a little credit for making a fullbody" that looks pretty much like a goose before others did.

4. Fallflight

Fallflight New Member

Run 8 doz DSD ACE honks... best way I've found to transport them is with individual decoy bags. Individual bagged decoys are able to shift and move more freely creating less friction points vs tight together in a six slotted bag which can create many friction points depending on how tight everything is. I have sewn the plastic bags that each decoy came in to the inside of individual DSD bags. I've tried Velcro, double sided sticky tape, adhesives... in cold weather they all fall off. As long as you're careful putting decoys in/taking them out of bags the plastic will hold up well and you'll have protection of two bags but only have to deal with one. I stack them on top of each other 4 layers high in trailer. Bottom layer rides on 2" high density foam. Sides of trailer lined with same foam. When setting decoys I place the bagged decoys in the spread formation. Buddy follows behind and removes the decoys and lays them on the bags. Another buddy follows behind him and puts the decoys on their stands and collects bags. Do the reverse when picking up. Decoys never touch the ground, decoys are rarely dirty and dirt doesn't make its way back into bag which can be abrasive to paint, flocking, paint... result is decoys many years/hunts old that look in mint condition. Zero problems, scratches, scuffs, worn flocking. Decoys look like I bought them yesterday...

5. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 New Member

I dont mind taking care of my gear but i refuse to baby decoys. Its not hunting if you dont have mud and blood on decoys. Decided on individual bags...just wish i had decoys to put in the bags. Lol

Fallflight likes this.
  6. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

IMG_2682.JPG

New STYLE DSD's set up in a 10 - 15 MPH wind. Some motion in the gusts but not excessive. I store decoys in individual plastic bags. This is the first dozen I have set up and it was time consuming. I will continue to work on my technique to improve the setup time as I have 8 dozen and I hunt alone.

GK1 likes this.
  7. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 New Member

My decoys shipped today. 9dZ coming.my way. Woohoo.

8. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

9 doz...OMG!

9. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

9 doz...OMG!

10. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 New Member

Xmas coming early and I been a good boy.