Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

new duck hunter advice

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by kyle zitzke, Nov 12, 2017.

1. kyle zitzke

kyle zitzke New Member

Hey guys some of this might sound like nonsense but as everyone knows in illinois hunting information isn't easy to obtain unless of course you know someone that is already into the particular quarry you're looking to start hunting. I live in the rockford area and I'm actually looking to put in somewhere on the pecatonica river. What I'm most curious about is the rules that apply and i guess most importantly the etiquette that applies. As far as hunting the pecatonica river as a whole is there any particular spot out there that you can't take shots on? as long as you're shooting over water are you in the clear? also from what i understand there is some shoreline property owners that don't necessarily want hunters around but like I was wondering earlier does it matter as long as you are taking shots over water? Like i said before I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but any and all information i can acquire from you guys would be very appreciated the last thing i want to do is break the law or any assumed etiquette rules to make a bad name for hunters! Thanks in advance!

2. Miker17

Miker17 New Member

Search posts in here and other sites related to duck hunting rivers in Illinois. There quite a few posts. Then read the rules and regs. Non of this will help much because it’s confusing. Next call the cpo in your area and ask questions. They’re probably pretty busy now being hunting season which leads me to my next part.... season already started and your a little late to the dance with this question. Good luck

3. Duckshooter101

Duckshooter101 Refuge Member

Call the DNR office in Morrison (815-772-4708) they should be able to help you. You might be able to talk with a CPO at the office in Rock Cut.

4. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

I'll add DON'T rely on your local LEO, most are clueless when it comes to certain laws for hunting, (And No I'm not slamming LEO). Call your local CPO and I would try to talk with them in person

5. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

Simple answer that is very complicated ! To hunt ducks from a camouflaged boat on a river in Illinois you must be anchored. Once you are anchored you are trespassing and subject to arrest if the landowner calls the CPO's. 99.9% of Illinois the property line extends to the middle of the body of water on the bottom. That's the simple part. Can get very complicated depending on which LEO you talk to. Not worth the effort on my part !!!!!

6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

My best advice is to quit before you get started....before you end up spending your life savings on calls, decoys, boats, leases, divorce, and child support.

7. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

So true.

But it's worth every every penny you spend.

Danny

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  8. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

The divorce?

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Typically...

10. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

You bet.

Danny