New From Central AL!

Discussion in 'Member Intros, Announcements, Refuge Gang Events' started by jpoe0108, Oct 17, 2018.

1. jpoe0108

jpoe0108 New Member

Hey guys, new to waterfowl. Looking to bust a ew this year out of my kayak on some local waters. I’ve been listening to HP Outdoors Podcast for the last week while I work to get some ideas and my brain stirring in the right direction.

I’m in the Mississippi Flyway, but there isn’t really any migration report generated in my area at all. I have been consistently seeing Canada Geese for the past few weeks in some fields locally that aren’t too far off of water, and the few spots I’ve seen seem to be where a duck would want to be.

So far, most waterfowlers I have met here insist there aren’t any here because they all migrate towards Arkansas but they haven’t explored local water to even conclude that, in my opinion. How can you say no birds will move thru here when you won’t take the time to scout and investigate? I am holding full hope.

I hope to learn a lot here. Thanks for letting me part of the community!

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Welcome aboard! You’ll find other AL guys on the site. Hang in there and good hunting. :tu

3. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

Welcome! Send me a PM, I will try and steer you in the right direction the best I can.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum.

It's not that there aren't any here because they migrate "towards" AR... There aren't any (many is a better word) here, because they don't come down from the PPR, and shoot east, across. They just go down. Ducks don't like to migrate east to west or west to east. They will do it under certain circumstances. Big storms can cause it, etc. But, they want to stay where they are, and eat, and move further south when the food in that spot is gone or the weather gets so bad they have to leave.

Alabama gets some ducks. Don't lose hope. Just don't expect to see hundreds or thousands of mallards falling in your face. Expect to see 2 mallards. Four mallards. And if you are on public, expect those 2-4 mallards to get called and shot at relentlessly until they leave.

I'd bet any duck hunter you have spoken to worth his salt has scouted just like you are doing now, at some point, and came up empty handed more than came up seeing a swamp full of ducks. Now, add in all the miles you have to walk, all the gear you have to carry, etc, and is that worth a couple of ducks? You will find out, not for long. It gets tiring. There are places you can go that make it easier. Just look up, know, and understand that states regs. State by state can vary. It can be done on the cheap, if you do some research and put some effort into it. Most OOS (Out of State) trips cost me around $100-500, including licenses, lodging, and food (everything). I'm going on an OOS trip in early Nov that will run me around $400-500, but that includes 4 night of lodging in a hotel. The runs later will be super cheap (gas and food). I'll sleep in the truck, as they will only be 1-2 night runs. I save the AL hunting for the weekdays I can't go somewhere else.

FWIW, AL may have a pretty decent year. I'm already seeing ducks around.

volsquackhead likes this.
  5. jpoe0108

jpoe0108 New Member

No kidding, my father in law fishes the areas I’ve scouted and said he saw what he would estimate to be 30-40 ducks on the water. Said he lost track around 30..

I’ve got some drive up launches that aren’t too terribly far from where I have scouted.

Given location and experience, I’ll be happy to have 6 the whole season. Now if by a miracle I limit out first day, I’ll be going back lol