New Game and Fish Commissioner

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by jeffc, Jul 8, 2016.

1. jeffc

jeffc Senior Refuge Member

Governor Asa Hutchinson has appointed former Walmart executive Bobby Martin, from Rogers, to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. Martin is an avid duck hunter who is one of the owners of the storied Greenbrier Club. I briefly met him on an occassion and was impressed with his outgoing demeanor. It is important to have waterfowling represented on the commission and I applaud the governor for this appointment.

2. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Elite Refuge Member

A rich owner of the storied Greenbrier club does not exactly represent "waterfowling" as most Arkansans knows it. Just one more commissioner added to the list that knows very little about the commoners they "represent".

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Frankly, It doesn't sound like the old boy is an Ivy league erudite elitist that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth…..From his bio, it sounds more like old boy worked hard and did well for himself……..

Gov. Asa Hutchinson appointed Bobby L. Martin of Rogers to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission on July 7, 2016.

“Bobby Martin is an avid outdoorsman, conservationist, and a strong advocate for youth in the outdoors,” Hutchinson said in a news release. “I admire his passion for waterfowl, deer hunting, and fishing. His deep knowledge and appreciation for the incredible natural resources of our state will make him a valuable asset to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, as they work to preserve Arkansas’s beautiful nature areas and wildlife to ensure that The Natural State remains true to its name for generations to come.”

Martin recently was chairman of the Arkansas Game and Fish Foundation Board, which is the fundraising auxiliary of the AGFC. During his time with the Foundation, he helped develop the concept and plans for its highly successful shooting sports complex in Jacksonville.

“I know it’s tireless work and I look forward to the opportunity to come alongside the current commissioners,” Martin said. “I’ve had a long-standing respect for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. . . . It’s not by accident that we do have the public lands that so many states probably are jealous of us having.

“My pledge that I make to all the people of Arkansas is that I understand the guiding principles of doing the right thing. The right thing for the resource, the right thing for the people of Arkansas, and not ever compromising that.”

Martin is an operating partner of The Stephens Group and was chief executive officer and president of Walmart International, where he led the development of its international business from 1993 to 1999. He began his career at another Arkansas retailer, Dillard’s Department Stores, where he climbed the ladder from third-shift computer operations staff to many positions at the top of the organization’s technology services department.

Martin’s term will expire in 2023. He replaces Emon Mahony, whose term expired in June.

6 West Nottingham Lane Rogers, AR 72758
    Bobby.Martin@agfc.ar.gov

4. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Elite Refuge Member

Lots of folks have climbed that ladder, done uncommonly well, and I applaud that. Doesn't mean he can still relate to the peasants though or understands the experiences of today's public land hunters.

I have been for the most part an outspoken supporter of the AGFC, and can speak from experience I have seen far worse. But the commission has always been comprised of wealthy individuals who have the potential to return favors to the governor who appointed them.
    It would just be nice to see a commoner or two places on the commission from time to time. But it's not gonna happen.

5. jeffc

jeffc Senior Refuge Member

I understand where Stumpy is coming from, but my sense is a commissioner's job extends well beyond public land waterfowling. It is big business and a keen knowledge of budgets, human relations, governance, real estate, communications, public policy, and much more is required. It sounds to me like Martin is well qualified through his experiences...hope so.

6. Duck Undertaker

Duck Undertaker Elite Refuge Member

I happen to be related to someone on the Governor's Staff who does vetting for the Boards & Commissions. He speaks pretty highly of this new commissioner..... BUT, When I joking said he needed to get me on as a commissioner I was told it takes about six figures to get on that list of candidates! ;)

7. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

As salary or a contribution to the Governors fund?

8. Duck Undertaker

Duck Undertaker Elite Refuge Member

....Campaign contributions to all the right people.....

9. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

That is just the SOP! That has been happening since the beginning! Not shocked.