New GHGs

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Corey from NZ, May 21, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

On the old Avery forum. I asked and that was the basics of the answer I was given.

Clayton likes this.
  2. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I don't know if I'm sold on the soft plastic?

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I've been using the "soft" plastic Avian-X's for three or four seasons now, and haven't found a reason to dislike them.
    Haven't found a reason to prefer the softer plastic, either.....except they feel more lifelike. :D

Ringbill and dux/24 7 like this.
  4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I prefer the soft plastic. Watch the video Rogers Sporting good did on the new GHG and you will understand why soft plastic is better than the hard plastic.

Ringbill likes this.
  5. NW BIRDHUNTER

Thanks. I saw the video. I know Big Foot has had success with their Canada full bodies with flexible plastic, however I have heard that some of the newer decoy soft plastic attempts the last few years have had trouble with decoys retaining their proper shapes, leaving dents, and have heard of some not being as durable in the heat, and tearing. Is it better? or is it less expensive to manufacture?

6. EWUEagles

The only decoys I own with soft plastics are Avians so I can only speak to them. I know other brands have started to come aboard the soft plastic train. My avians have never had a problem with shape, heat or durability. Currently my avians are outside under a tarp and they look and feel great. What brands were you hearing bad reports on?

Ringbill and dux/24 7 like this.
  7. NW BIRDHUNTER

I don't want to bash any specific decoy company, however I have read reports of some soft goose decoys splitting and also some that were left in an enclosed trailer that tore. I haven't done extensive research on them.

8. Billy Bob

I'm not sold on the soft plastics either. Avians are decent but still far from perfect. After being in a bulk bag they have dents that are hard to pop out and sometimes leave a crease. This gets worse as the temps drop. It doesn't get very cold where I hunt so I can't imagine how bad it is with temps in the teens or low 20's all the time. The soft plastic is one of the 2 main reasons I haven't switched my realistic spread all over to AvianX.

Leaving decoys in an enclosed trailer will destroy or damage most decoys over time, same with storing decoys in an attic. With temps at 100 outside the temp in a trailer is going to be 120 or more. Most plastics don't do well with heat or sunlight, we all know that much.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Ringbill likes this.
  9. EWUEagles

It sounds like you guys might be talking about fully bodies. Any chance they aren't holding up as well as duck floaters? Mine have stayed in pretty good shape.

10. Billy Bob

I was speaking the the mallard floaters. I don't have full bodies. Paint durability is great on the soft plastic but I can't handle dents when I'm hunting over a realistic spread, it drives me nuts as with colors that aren't correct. :l I'm picky when I use realism but normally don't care at all with other decoys. The way paint bonds to that soft plastic it would be great with foam filled decoys and make them near indestructible.