New gun input

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Turnkey, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Turnkey

Turnkey Elite Refuge Member

Probably going to buy myself a new shotgun for Christmas.
    Looking at the SX4 and A5.
    Already have a SBE2, so I'm not looking at a SBE3 and I dont really care for the A400 either.
    Looking for pros and cons of the 2 guns I'm looking at from folks who are currently using them.

2. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

Don’t know about the sx4, I’ve got the sx3 and it’s been good for me. Feels good for me, never broken. Always been reliable with the exception of user error, i failed to take care of the recoil spring and let it get rusted. Replaced cheaply with stock part. I won’t let that happen again.

Turnkey likes this.
  3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I shoot the SX4 and it works well for me. Reliable, minimal recoil, kills birds if I do my part right. It cycles low base 8's on quail just fine. I really can't find anything negative to say about that gun.

My younger son shoots the same gun and has the same opinion as I do. His only complaint is that it doesn't come in a wrong handed version.

My older son shoots an SX3 and likes it just fine.

Turnkey likes this.
  4. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Another for SX3. I know you asked about the 4 but I've had this gun 5 seasons and have no reason to even consider changing guns. Only failed me when I failed it. And only twice then. Outstanding waterfowl shotgun.

Dandy

freefall and Turnkey like this.
  5. grizzly

grizzly Senior Refuge Member

A Sx2 has been in the family for 12-15 years and has been a great gun. I shot it for many years and passed it down to my son. Replaced the spring in the stock after I cleaned it and put oil/not grease back in. My dad shoots the Sx3 with zero issues. I shoot the A5 with minimal issues, I just like the way the A5 shoulders.

freefall likes this.
  6. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Senior Refuge Member

My A5 is still in the shop. Again for the same issue...

7. SpoonySmacker

SpoonySmacker Senior Refuge Member

I picked up the SX4 at the beginning of November and have now hunted with it 4 times now. Love it. Points great and cycles flawlessly. Cuts everything good with a Briley LM extended tube and Kent FastSteel 3” #3s @ 1425 FPS. And I love the heavy spring in it. It slams shut! It’s not as easy to clean as my Benelli but it ain’t hard at all. Being gas vs inertia I just now clean it after every hunt.

8. Turnkey

Turnkey Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the insight fellas. I ended up going with the SX4. Checked em both out at SW and liked the way the SX4 shouldered and pointed. It felt really good to me compared to the A5.
    Couldn't beat the price on it either. They price matched Cabelas sale price plus gave me an additional 5% off.
    Gonna give my SBE2 a break the rest of the season once I pick this new gun up. Now, just some birds to show up and cooperate.

Reverend, freefall and grizzly like this.
  9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Always buy what fits the best. :tu:tu

Reverend, HONKSRWORKN and Turnkey like this.
  10. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Senior Refuge Member

SX3 for me flawless for 4 years. A300 took out today and performed well.