Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

New Guy.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by HunterWill, Dec 15, 2016.

1. HunterWill

HunterWill New Member

Hello everyone. First, great site havent been on here long, but have enjoyed it so far. I have never hunted waterfowl before I have wanted to for a long time never had a chance with working and raising my son time was an issue. I have tried booking a guide as a singel, dont know anyone that wants to waterfowl hunt. All the guides I talked too said they would get back to me but as of now none has. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would anyone be willing to show me the ropes? Ill pay gas, bring lunch, set out decoys at 2am whatevere it takes. I live in Middle River. Thanks

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Welcome i always have room for an extra guy

3. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

Welcome to the Chesapeake forum. Lots of great waterfowlers on here. I'm sure you will find some good help here.

Mike

HunterWill likes this.
  4. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

5. HunterWill

HunterWill New Member

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Some may scoff at this idea, but go to your local Duck Unlimited or Delta event(s). You will meet people and you'll learn more in a night with a few beers than you will here in a year.

I wish this site had a better mechanism for matching "singles". Without question I think guided hunts are the way to go as you learn the ropes, but finding 2-3 like minded guys with similar schedules is the tough part of that, but you meet people over time and develop friendships.

My last bit of advice, if you want to learn to hunt ducks the final piece of the equation is shooting ability. Ironically that is probably the easiest thing to practice and get good at, the rest is learned through experience and apprenticeship. Nothing worse than taking a guy out who needs 30 shells to shoot his limit.

Finally- be careful, solo missions in a kayak or canoe in Dec/Jan require experience

7. HunterWill

HunterWill New Member

Thanks for the advice. I shoot a lot of trap so I should be ok there. I have been looking at delta and ducks unlimited. I am definitly going to attend some of there events. Not sure if I'm going to take the plunge this year alone to late in the season to much to go wrong by myself