Decoy Forum Sponsors

New heads

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Mean Gene, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

All my Homer heads came today, so now I can start attaching them to cork bodies as I get those shaped. Will end up with mallards, canvasbacks, redheads and wigeon. Busy, busy, busy!

20181221_143406.jpg

freefall and Billy Bob like this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Interesting, I never would have thought of putting Homer heads on cork or wood bodies. Those wigeon heads look good. Will be waiting to see those on bodies. Those heads are making me consider foamers even more. If I ever do foamers I will use Homer heads for sure. I hear nothing but good about them.

3. Mean Gene

I like them because you can't destroy them. I use a three part hardening process on my cork decoys. When I'm done they are harder than wood. Couple that with the homer heads and they are as tough as any decoy on the planet. I don't like things that fall apart.

WHUP ! Hen and Billy Bob like this.
  4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I might have to get back to carving some foamers this off season,I like those.

WHUP ! Hen, Mean Gene and Billy Bob like this.
  5. CUduckreeper

CUduckreeper New Member

What is your hardening process if you don’t mind sharing?

WestKyHunt likes this.
  6. Rjm6254

Rjm6254 Elite Refuge Member

IMG_20171022_143250_hdr.jpg IMG_20171028_161056.jpg IMG_20171022_143250_hdr.jpg IMG_20171028_161056.jpg Here is! A blue wing teal homer head on custom cork body. I designed the head for Homer decoys.

Billy Bob, WHUP ! Hen and Mean Gene like this.
  7. Mean Gene

Don't mind at all.

1st) 2 coats of sanding sealer.
    2nd) 1 coat of Titebond III thickened with wood flour to a runny peanut butter consistency.
    3rd) 1 coat of West System marine epoxy thickened with glass microspheres to the same consistency.

Sanding sealer goes over the bottom board, the tail, and the body. The Titebond/wood flour mix goes over the bottom board, the tail and the body, but not the head. The marine epoxy mix goes over the bottom board, the tail, the body and up the head just past the neck joint. By doing that the bird is A) sealed, B) the void in the cork are filled, C) it as hard as a rock. Nothing is needed for the head...they won't break no matter what. I put three coats of oil based marine spar varnish over the stained keel. Scrub the cured marine epoxy with Dawn detergent, sand it, then use a bonding primer.

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys love seeing them used on cork decoys. It’s hard to believe that these heads are stronger than wood but it’s true. 3 years I’ve not seen a broke. Head yet that wasn’t shot at point blank on purpose by multiple rounds. Lol.