Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

New hunting knife?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by sdkidaho, Mar 1, 2015.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Which hunting knife is your favorite and why?

I'm looking for a new knife and don't know a lot about knives. One that I was looking at is a Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter. It can be found for about $50, which isn't out of line I wouldn't think. I don't really want to spend $200 on a knife, but can't imagine that I couldn't find a good knife that would last me forever for less than $100.

I carry a Havalon Piranta Edge with me now, so I don't need a new knife, but I'm looking anyway.

2. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

I just bought one of the new Benchmade hunter series. The blades are made using powdered metal technology. I bought into it, we'll see how well it holds an edge this season!

3. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

If you're looking for a skinning knife, that Pendleton looks like a nice piece of steel, yet still general enough in design for overall use.

I don't have a particular model/brand in mind, but for overall ability to hold a sharp edge, I think I'd try to find a blade made of AUS8 steel, as my first choice.

I've got a knife steel chart around here somewhere that rates the pros and cons of the various steels. If I can find it I'll try to get it posted for you to look at.

I've got several various sheath knives, including several skinning knives. The one I haven't broken in yet is an earlier model of this one...

http://www.vablade.com/index.cfm/product/2_2/bulldog-ii.cfm

4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Like this?:

http://www.boker.de/us/blade-steel.html

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Similar, but it broke it down by 'best/common' use, etc.

This is basically the same type of information, but in list form...

Obviously a lot more info than most of us need, or will use. I think it's a good and interesting reference, and can be helpful if needed.

Good luck on your search! :tu