Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

New Hunting Regulations Announced

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by yellowdog05, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

:clap:clap:l

2. pbramble

pbramble Elite Refuge Member

I don't bow hunt, but I've discoverved sika deer, and I'm an able bodied man that would buy a crossbow in a second if I had some extra cash because I don't have the time nor the inclination to pick up bow hunting. I'd also shoot the sika over corn so I don't have to sit in the stand all day, and I don't care if I shoot a stag or hind, meat is meat, and that is some good meat. With the season extension, it may be worth it now to scratch up a little extra cash for crossbow. Anybody got any recommendations for a middle of the road model that gets it done but won't hurt my wallet to bad?

3. jkryspin

jkryspin Elite Refuge Member

Paul - Let's talk... :dv

4. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

For what it's worth (I know, not much) but I have shot both. My FIL has one as he can't shoot a "regular" bow...make that "verticle" sorry. I bought him a new xbow. It was already set up and only needed a little tweak of the scope. It was DEAD NUTZ with NO practice. It was SO easy too shoot and has a crank to draw/**** it.
    You don't need to do anything but put a finger on the trigger. No arm, back or shoulder involved to hold it back or forward for that matter (even if using a release "device" hint hint);)

Were nailing bulls eyes at 40 yds. (1 inch squares) on the first attempts. I laughed and said "This is like cheating, it's way too easy"![/COLOR]
    My daughter then shot it for the first time.....Bulls eye. She could not and cannot do that with her Vbow.

I shoot my Vbow frequently and no way can I shoot that well, that consistantly. I can shoot well enough to be good and ethical in cleanly killing a deer, but not like that Xbow.

Now in saying all this. I am not going to chastize anyone for their choice of weapon, as long as it's legal AND YOU USE IT ETHICALLY. If you want to use a Xbow instead of Vbow go ahead. I will not (until I can no longer draw my Vbow). But that is my choice. I could use a .410 instead of a 12 or 10, I don't. a .410 would be "sportier" wouldn't it?
    I agree with all of you on some points. Bottom line is, the choice is yours.

As is baiting. you don't like it, don't do it. I am on the fence with that one. I think in some cases it actually makes it harder to kill a deer as they seem to become MORE nocturnal.....at least they do where I mostly hunt. The cameras prove that at least "over" my corn pile. so sitting there and waiting for them to come in and "put on the feed bag" doesn't happen.....all that much.
    I have read studies where the baiting issues are studied and compare areas of kills. There was evidence of less deer killed where baiting was allowed. There are lots of other details , etc but I will not get into all that.
    I have rambled enough.....go out and enjoy, even if you are "cheating" :dv (oh, crap, that throws the ethical thing in there again...):flame

5. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

Paul,

I'm no expert on the topic but I can tell you what I found while investigating. I think any model will get it done. The first model I shot was an old(5 or 6 years) Horton which was what got me hooked. I do know that for the price you can't beat some of the Barnett models. Also, Wicked Ridge seems to make a good one as well and they are like the little brother to Tenpoint. I ended up with a Tenpoint but they can get a little pricey depending on the model. I really don't think there is a bad choice because there is not a lot to compare it to. This is all in what I found while looking and I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on it. Good luck with the search!

6. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

I agree with everything you just posted Tduck. :tu

7. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

:clap:clap

I agree with your post but I am mad I didn't come up with this analogy first.

8. ButtonBuck

ButtonBuck Elite Refuge Member

This man is a genius. And one hell of a taxidermist:tu

9. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, because a deer killed with a .410 wouldn't be rejected by B&C like an Xbow killed deer would be considered an unprincipled claim by P&Y. :D

10. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Why wouldn't it, that would be illegal in md.

I believe he was referring to upland game