Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

NEW IL Snowgoose thread

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Waterdog Trainer, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Recently there was a thread wanting information on snow goose numbers and activity. I'll give you my take on central IL, specifically Canton area. There are several hundred thousand birds in the area. More this time of year than I have ever seen due to the mild weather we experienced earlier. Mostly weary adult birds has made it more challenging, as far as finishing them. The bitter cold the next few days may push some back south but I think many will ride it out here. They are roosting on several private strip lakes that have large areas of open water. The wind in addition to the amount of geese piled into these areas at dark will lessen the chance of them capping back over even with the single digit temps coming. Warmer temps are coming as early as next week. Geese fed all day, jumping fields and sometimes returning where they started. We only had a trace of snow so that is not an issue. The wind was brutal at times. It beat many groups down and also blew a few groups out. Personally I like a strong wind, preferably south.

If I was going to recommend doing a freelance hunt or a paid hunt I would wait. Even though there are good numbers of geese here I would wait on a good push of juvies. I think you would have a much better chance of having a good shoot. When this happens the weather will also be better. Warmer temps and a good southerly breeze (most spreads are set up for south winds). I think it will be more toward the end of the month or first week of March.

Two of us shot 11.

IMG_0088.JPG

2. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

We are not having any luck! To many adult birds for our spread of only a few hundred... Never seen so many snows & specks in my life! Hoping & waiting for the juvies to show up!

3. Waterdog Trainer

It's been tough for sure. The geese we shot yesterday were over 500 fb & shells. If we run everything (silosocks) it would be 1500. Wind with the snow not a good combo for socks.

Interesting to see what effect the snow coming Sunday has on them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. ilduckhunter

ilduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

Adult birds are making it tough, southern Illinois last 4 days have been terrible

5. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Nice avatar W.T.....

Jon C likes this.
  6. Waterdog Trainer

Thanks Joe. :)

7. Redleggs

Redleggs Senior Refuge Member

Ditto on adult birds. I hunt over a fixed spread of several thousand full bodies and a mix of socks for ground motion with 12 e callers , 34 flyers and two vortex machines. We've had several encounters of at least 2-5 thousand birds circling overhead at 80 -100 yards for 15-30 minutes without any birds getting into the kill holes. We've bagged less than 200 since opener shooting five guns each day. The birds we are bagging are juvies 3-1. But those 20 year old birds are damn near impossible to finish.
    Creepers have been having some luck. The birds are flocked up off the roost and moving 30-60 miles daily to feed en mass. We are no where near peak yet. This is the first wave with a little reverse migration freshening things up mid week. Look for things to pick up greatly as soon a stings thaw.

8. Waterdog Trainer

We were also running several fliers but pulled them down the other day. Wind picked up and they got too erratic. Right after we pulled them down we had a small group work right in. We have 4 rotary machines but have only run 2 one day so far. Not much wind that day. Didn't seem to make any difference that day. The adults are definitely too smart for some of the contraptions.

9. Waterdog Trainer

The Nature Conservancy Emiquon is covered with snows. I think this is the most I have ever seen rafted up there. I would like to have an aerial estimate on numbers.

10. DuckyPhe

DuckyPhe Senior Refuge Member

When I got home from work around 8:30pm, I heard a lot of them overhead. Sounded mighty high too and heading straight north.

Chris