Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

NEW IL Snowgoose thread

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Waterdog Trainer, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

We are shooting some juvies. Seeing more in groups last several days. Conflicting reports but many in Ark say they left. We killed 7 so far this morning. Have to bump a feed close to us. We've had several groups slide at the last minute. Prob still to many adults dragging them out.

2. Waterdog Trainer

We're on the west side also.

3. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

Was after them both days this weekend south of you guys. Saturday saw a good number of birds most of the day and had a decent wind after the 1st couple hrs. Sunday saw less birds, and they were really hanging on us in that wind. Almost everything we saw would get low and give us look but that last 10-15 yards was tough. Still most of the bag is adults70/30(including a banded bird: banded as an adult in 2002) and we haven't killed a ross yet. That may have been it for us. I'm sure there will be huntable numbers around next weekend but leaving the house at 2am and getting home at 8 pm is getting tough.

4. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

killed 1 bird today[adult] saw almost nothing in the wind

5. Waterdog Trainer

IMG_0539 - Copy.JPG

The wind was a double edge sword today. A little too strong at times but we managed to make 12 to hit the dirt. Didn't see as many as I had hoped but it was fairly steady all morning with very few gaps. Several singles were 15 yard shots as well as a gang of four we wiped out. Mallards and Specks put on a good show. A few juvies in the pile with a couple Ross. Not one blue today. I think the wind had many holding down tight.

6. ten times better

we did get a ross and a juvie today were not seeing many , yesterday was our 1st day seeing none we thought the dance was over but saw enough today to leave the spread up. ps 5 bunches this morning and 1 lone ross saw only the one juvie and we killed him all the rest were big adult blues.

7. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

Killed 27 today finally started killing some Ross and juvis didn't see a big push but what moved worked really well. See what tomorrow brings

8. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Seeing very few snows out by Fairview. Had a nice flock of migrators come in Monday afternoon. Other than that, picking a few off here and there. Wondering how many more are to come? Seems like we are seeing just a few flocks a day now.

9. Waterdog Trainer

I personally think it's about over. You may get a few stragglers but not worth it for me. Now some will say there are plenty more juvies to come, the juvies have stalled out, the weather has not been right. The ones saying this for several weeks are trying to fill empty holes and can't get enough hunters to fill 2 pits let alone 4. How better can the weather be when it's 60 and 70 degrees, strong south winds and hardly see any geese. Couple that with the snot being knocked out of them daily in north and south Dakota. Stick a fork in it.

10. ten times better

waterdog, hunted today saw only 11 birds 10 adults and a ross got 2 ps i think u r right its over. BUT WHERE DID THE YOUNGENS GO. weve hunted all but 2 days since 2/1/16 saw about 4 juvies killed only 1