Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

NEW IL Snowgoose thread

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Waterdog Trainer, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Redleggs

Redleggs Senior Refuge Member

There were some reports out available from very credible, professional research sources that were published early last summer documenting poor nesting success (.18%) of the James Bay colony. Nesting was very poor last spring due to a freak June snow storm on the colony nesting grounds. Those birds are the ones that come back north this way. So.....The answer to where are the juvies????-was they were never there to begin with. That's why this migration has been so rapid this year IMHO.

The industry that's been created by this conservation season has spawned a lot of unscrupulous outfitters who post false reports on open forums as misinformation just to encourage sucker clients. There's been a real rash of that this year in particular. This was compounded by a lack of aerial surveys from credible sources due to weather and budget issues.

For all practical purposes migration was all over by March 1 in my part of the state ( south of I-70).
    I hunted over a fixed pit spread of 5000 full bodies with 1000 socks supplemented in for ground motion and had 35 fliers with five rotary fliers. We had 12 e-callers throughout the spread. We were set in a field that has usually yielded close to a thousand harvest in past years. This year we had much poorer results with good results February 1-16. After that it essentially was over and not a single double digit day. The highest juvie ratio we hit was 30% during that 1-16th period on some double digit days.
    There were birds in huntable but diminished numbers north of I-70 after the middle of February but not traditional hundreds of thousands as in past years.
    I am no biologist but I do observe migration in prime territory in a major staging area close to home on a daily basis. The leading edge got here the third week of January and the tail end was gone by the 16th. There was some reverse migration with cold fronts as the snow line changed but the birds had seen it all and done it all by that time and it was just about impossible to do anything in numbers. El-Nino did another job on the goose migration in these parts just as he did on the ducks. When the birds came through they had the north bound itch bad.

2. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Good post. I think you are correct on most everything. Like I stated above. There may be some pockets of birds left but I think the majority are already through.

3. DuckyPhe

DuckyPhe Senior Refuge Member

Saw a couple thousand between Lincoln and Mt. Pulaski the last two mornings each. Hitting two fields with no hunters. Birds still in air were coming from straight west.

Chris

4. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

I coach a 14U Travel baseball team and it came to a halt yesterday when my son and another kid who hunt saw about 5 big groups of snows heading West about 5:30 pm. We don't see many snows in our area so it was pretty cool. About 20 minutes west of I-80/I-55 area. (Morris) Then saw a couple flocks headed East this morning.

5. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Yea, I try & keep up with the reports on the migration & wondered what's up with the reports from guys of juvys still to come??
    After hunting Sask. in Sept. & Ark. in Jan. for snows & hardly a juvy shot. Not a scientific report but a fairly good idea on the situation.

6. sno

sno Refuge Member

Yep time to start fishing
    We'll hit'em hard again next year

7. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

My crew saw 4 this morning, killed all 4 but that was all they saw. The end is either here or near!

8. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

only saw 8 today killed 3, 2 ross [adults], one young blue

9. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

We pulled the plug Wednesday. Decoys picked up and pit cleaned out. With the mild weather the migration was three weeks early and short lived. Fell right in line with the rest of the season.

10. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Shot 7 by myself this weekend. Saw very few.