New layout, need motor

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Scott Jinks, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

PPF WOOD DUCK FRAME
    + HONDA GC 160
    -----------------------

SAVES 10 POUNDS off the standard wood duck. And it would have plenty of power for a sneak boat..

Here's a Marsh Rat with the 3hp mini Thai longtail.. I wouldn't want that long of a tail shaft, but that kit weighs about the same as the above set-up..

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

If you keep them stock- not too loud. Start souping them up and adding straight pipes-loud

3. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I’ve never been bothered by a warden about my 6.5, think my boat is also only rated for 2 HP. They just want to make sure it’s registered and that I have a life jacket.

I don’t know the exact weight of mine but it’s easily wrangled by myself. I think their website says 60 lbs or less.

The Predator is pretty quiet stock.

4. msk

msk New Member

you trailer that boat? How is stability?

nice setup

5. Scott Jinks

Scott Jinks Refuge Member

Took it out Monday with 30lbs thrust trolling motor. Me and dogs it was fine stability wise. With weight of batttery and dog and me in cockpit, dog platform on back was under water. Trolling motor moved it pretty good in open water. Sucked in brush. Could paddle faster than messing with logs and raising trolling motor. Got out to hunt and dog was high and dry on back. Fairly easy to get in and out of, but water was only knee deep. I have been taking it in back of truck. With battery and decoys in boat, it was a little too heavy for one guy to easily load. Have to take them out next go around. May get a small battery and try that. Out board is out after issues with trolling motor and logs. Still concerned about weight of small mud motor on back and dog platform, could always make a raised platform. Also concerned about steering a mud motor, until I trimmed trolling motor up, it was a wierd angle, having to reach behind me. Afraid a mm would be real wierd angle, almost have to sit side was. Did not try standing while moving. May try that next trip

6. HEUY

HEUY Senior Refuge Member

I have an old 60's 3hp Johnson 3hp that weighs 32# I use on bigger canoe. Tank is on the top and it moves my boat 6mph. Lighter and faster than trolling motor w battery. Motor has that weedless angle and does very well going thru stuff.

smashdn likes this.
  7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Bazinga. This is your answer. I have a four horse with the weedless folding skeg and it is perfect on a layout or canoe. Climbs over logs and through weeds.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I have one of those. Tank on top and an exposed flywheel and rope pull cord. Sweet as pie. $80 on CL.

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Mine doesn't have the integrated tank or exposed flywheel. Pull start though. Thing weighs maybe 40lbs. Lighter than a battery and trolling motor.

10. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Old Evinrudes called " Duck twin " Not really sure what the diff other than paint job is with "Yacht twin"