New on Here need blind build feedback

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Flyway Forum' started by sWaMpBoOgEr, Aug 20, 2017.

1. sWaMpBoOgEr

sWaMpBoOgEr New Member

I finally joined after a few years of google searching good information and it's always led me to this forum! Figured since a good friend of mine recently got into waterfowl I'd take some initiative to seek some advice. I built this hardside blind on my 2006 Triton 1546 DS over the past few weeks and now am getting ready for the final stages. The frame is 3/4" EMT conduit and 1/2" conduit. Overall seems very stable and able to be leaned on without any significant amount of flex. I have it secured with pins to the outside frame lip of the boat and used hinges as well as using 3/4" conduit sleeves and 1/2" conduit for a bow door. I am going to be putting on corrugated plastic from lowes (seems extremely durable!) and then spray painting it for added break up. For attaching brush I will be using fencing, zip tied to the frame on top of the plastic. Check out the picks, let me know what y'all think. The back, to cover the engine, I used 3/4" conduit affixed to the blind and used a 1/2" piece bent into it as a pivot point. This way it'll hold netting and allow for stern access.

Attached Files:

2. magikk

magikk Refuge Member

Welcome to the forum. The blind looks good. Building the stuff and getting the boats ready is almost as fun as the hunting. I see your in mineral point.I'm in South fork go figure. I just redid the blind in my boat this year too but went with a folding blind with a flip too.

sWaMpBoOgEr likes this.
  3. sWaMpBoOgEr

sWaMpBoOgEr New Member

No way! I live on Swigle. I started putting the chloroplast on today. Here's a few pics. So far so good. Goose is coming soon and I have a few lakes in mind for after morning geese if we don't limit .

Attached Files:

4. magikk

magikk Refuge Member

The coraplast looks good I've never seen anyone use that before. Interested to see how it hold up to trailering. Mike

sWaMpBoOgEr likes this.
  5. sWaMpBoOgEr

sWaMpBoOgEr New Member

I did a test run, without the fencing and vegetation, with the doors secured at 65mph it did extremely well. I didnt notice any significant amount of movement. i didn't have any crossswinds either that were noticeable. I should have the fencing and vegetation on before September 1st. I will throw some pics up then to show the final project. Overall, I am extremely happy with the results!

6. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

We used corapast one year for blinds that we had set up in a field. We put them out and left them there for the season. Second year, where the screws went through started to crack. This was a stable blind, how it holds up to flexing from the travel and bouncing of the boat only time will tell. We have a lot of trucking companies in the area and found some old tarps that were used for covering the loads. They were throwing them away since they were torn. We had a good supply and changed over to the tarps.

7. sWaMpBoOgEr

sWaMpBoOgEr New Member

That sounds like a good idea! Are they like the canvas styled tarps? I'd imagine zero shine as well. I have to mud my coroplast up. I used zipties to hold it onto the frame. I hope it won't start loosening up. i guess I'll try and keep y'all posted.

8. magikk

magikk Refuge Member

Glad to hear that it trailers well . The hard side blind would be nice not having to fold it back up after the hunt. Looking forward to seeing it grasses up. I used zip ties to attach all my grass and they have worked pretty well. The last blind they where in for a few years. I went with a scissor blind this year.so far I'm happy with it.here's a pic of it grassed up photo-1.JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. sWaMpBoOgEr

sWaMpBoOgEr New Member

That's a sweet rig! Love the galvanized trailer. I feel like its a matter of time for mine to start to rust out. I can definitely tell trailering in the winter and salty roads are killing it. Did you get your raffia from JSterns? What size motor you running? I am limited to 20 HP most lakes I hunt. Plus a 40 HP (MAX on my boat) would probably sink my heavy stern. Wouldn't be so bad if I was a lighter guy. LOL, but that's another story.

10. magikk

magikk Refuge Member

O

I Did get The raffia Got From Jl Stern I Got a 35 Lb Box For Around $150 I Stomped It In The Mud Puddle By the Garage and It Made A Big difference In How It Looked.the Boat IS a A 1648 I Have A 20 Hp Honda On It. Like You Said Were Limited To A 20 Hp around Here. I Too have THe Problem with Weight In The Stern I Was Over 320 Last Fall But Lost Some WEight Doing The Keto Diet.so We can Carry More DEcoys this year.