Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

NEW PAPERWORK

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Coldfronts, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

1- for Canada---Non Resident Firerm Declaration
    1-for return to US for Guns and AMMO----Certificate Of Registration CBP Form 44

Anybody else read on the new rules and regs.

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I was at the border a few days ago and they gave me the same Non-resident Firearm Declaration form (GRC 5589e 04/02/2014 rev). I was on the RCMP website this afternoon and they were showing the same form. I was also on the Natural Resources Canada site today trying to figure out exactly how much ammo we can bring across and no new news posted there.

You got a link?

3. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

No link, I called US Customs and this is what I was told. I cant find anything to read on it. Kinda why I am asking if anybody else has heard of this or read about it anywhere.

4. Travis Schneider

Travis Schneider Elite Refuge Member

Are you referring to CBP Form 4457? This is the Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad. It can not only be used for firearms, but other things of value to show that they weren't bought in Canada and no need to pay a tax/duty on your way back into the US.

5. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

Is this the same as registering at our homeland security office? Thats what i did with my gun and camera.

6. Travis Schneider

Travis Schneider Elite Refuge Member

Not sure. Mine have always been done at a US Customs office.

7. Littleboots

Littleboots Senior Refuge Member

Paper work going in same has always did mine about week ago. Other form fill out at customs office never been asked for. Guess my gun is beat up enough

8. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

You do not need the 4457. It is strictly voluntary and not mandatory. All you avoid is paying duty on an item the our US Customs might claim you bought in Canada. Just bring your receipt with you for gun, computer whatever. In order to properly use the 4457 you need to IN ADVANCE OF YOUR TRIP go to the nearest US Customs office with the items in hand, have them looked at and serial numbers noted and then the form is stamped. This is a major PITA if you do not live near a Customs Office. And believe me, when you walk in the door carrying what are obviously two firearms you cause a stir - even if they are cased. If your gear is worn and used then I would never bother with that stupid form.
    There, I feel much better now.
    Tom B.

9. PSchmidt

PSchmidt Refuge Member

It's a sneaky way to get you to register your guns. You don't need to do it.

Okay US Customs, prove to me I bought this in Canada without a Canadian gun buyers card....