New puppy help

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Tbgoose, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Tbgoose

Tbgoose Refuge Member

Well it is the first time in 12 years I have had to start the process of finding a new hunting dog (got a year old lab in between given to us). So the question I have is where would you start looking for one. Here is kind of what I want.
    Yellow lab (light in color)
    Female with breeding rights (have a couple nephews who will be needing their first hunting buddy in future). Yes have had puppies in the past.
    I live in Wyoming but willing to travel to get a good puppy.
    $1000 limit
    April or May
    Thanks in advance

2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Well, the fact that it has been 12 years, and you have a $1000 limit, tells me it's been 12 years since you priced a well bred pup;)

Lewx4 and Doc E like this.
  3. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

I think you can still find a decent dog for $1000. The one in my avatar cost $650 in NY. We do not Field Trial or Hunt test but do waterfowl and upland. She is a very good hunting dog and get a lot of compliments from hunters who hunt over her. Look for decent lineage and health clearances, find a decent training program and stick with it. Good luck

4. Tbgoose

Tbgoose Refuge Member

I would go up to 1500 for the right dog. I was hoping someone on here might of had some suggestions on a good person to Visit with.

Lewx4 likes this.
  5. Lewx4

Lewx4 New Member

Take a look at”enterexpress “ classifieds. 1500.00 is about the average price today. Good luck

6. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Now you're talking. I just got one for a client for $1,200 that was a little under priced for the quality of pup we got. Plan on around $1,500.

EvanG

7. Tbgoose

Tbgoose Refuge Member

8. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

What do you want said dog to do?

9. Tbgoose

Tbgoose Refuge Member

I will hunt with this dog. I just want a good genetic dog so I can pup her out one time. I have a couple nephews who are getting old enough and would like to give them a puppy and help them train them. Most of the breeders around here don’t have great dogs and if they do they only want to give limited registration. I was just hoping to have some one on this site share a little knowledge

10. Lewx4

Lewx4 New Member

Check Jazztime Retrievers out of Montana. I have two of their pups. Well worth the price with great pedigrees and genetic.