New sea duck Spread

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by fjp53, Jun 20, 2017.

1. fjp53

fjp53 New Member

Need to put together a sea duck set for this coming season, I have a clean slate to start from so I would appreciate any advice with regard to manufacturer, quanity and mix. Will be hunting east coast for scoter and eider.

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I'm not an expert but know enough to say that if you're hunting north of the Chesapeake you should run 50% scoter, 50% eider. Chesapeake and southward, figure 80-90% scoter.

I think you'd be fine running mostly black scoter, but a few white-wing or surfs on the edges wouldn't hurt.

This is just an uneducated guess.

I took some old Herter's 72 ultimates and turned them into sea ducks replacing all the hardware with 304 stainless. Painting sea ducks is rather easy and I've got zero artistic talent. Even the eider hen is doable if you take a little time...

Just my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

4. fjp53

fjp53 New Member

I saw them but don't want to paint or coat the decoys with restle. I was looking at Storm Decoys who finishes the Homer bodies but don't know much about them or their work.

5. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

You cant go wrong with our dealers they all do fantastic work. You can check them out on our dealers page. Storm Decoys have done alot of decoys and you will be very pleased with them.

6. Rubberhead

This is a great topic - take it to the main forum where it'll get the attention it deserves.

7. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Easiest way to add big, visible decoys is with sillies. You can slap some together before the season easily. Rig them behind the solids so they have something to decoy to once they swing around.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Is that drake oldsquaw an old flambeau pintail from the 80's?

9. Rubberhead

Ha ha - thanks for noticing. I was a "pick-up" that I found floating down the river. It sat under my house as pintail for years before I got the sea duck bug.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I only noticed because I have 14 of those drake pins painted as oldsquaw too. :l