New SWOMP LITE 23 glider kit installed

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by warrenwaterfowler, Apr 10, 2018.

1. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I installed my new SWOMP LITE kit a couple weeks ago and replaced my Thai kit...now just waiting for some decent weekend weather to take it out on the water. Last couple weekends have been freezing and windy. We just got another couple of inches of snow last night too....but this weekend might warm up to the low 50's.

Fit and finish of the parts were great and installation was very easy. Had to cut down the output shaft on my 22hp Predator an inch to make it fit, but other than that everything bolted right up. Jake at Backwater was VERY helpful answering questions before the sale and after the install same or next day. If anyone's looking for longtailn or a longtail kit definitely give them a call.
    Like so many others with the Thai kits, i learned the hard way that there's nothing more expensive than a cheap mudmotor.

I'll post up my impressions and mayne some video after the maiden voyage-hopefully soon! 20180407_190258.jpg 20180407_190242.jpg 20180407_190249.jpg

2. warrenwaterfowler

Finally got the weather and the time this weekend to take my new Backwater SWOMP LITE 23 gluder kit out for it's first run.

It tracked well and I didn't have to muscle the tiller while underway like my old thai kit. I adjusted the stop so the surface tracer plate was as shallow as possible. And put 1 shim in to help it ride up higher....may add a 2nd shim to see how that works next run.
    With two big guys in the boat (1542 mod v) we topped out at 13mph....not as fast as I was hoping for, but I may need to swap the 9x6 for a 9x7.
    One thing I'm definitley going to change is to replace the stock throttle lever with a clutch/brake lever or maybe a twist throttle.
    We started out on open water for awhile to get the hang of it then hit some very shallow muck and tried to get the boat stuck. The swomp lite dug in and powered us out of it with relative ease.
    Wish I would've gpt some pictures and vid...maybe next time out- trying to talk my girlfiend into coming along for a ride next weekend.
    Overall- very happy with the new set up and looking forward to dialing it in a little more and trying the next size up prop.

3. Allinodad

Allinodad Senior Refuge Member

I feel a little deflated. I was hoping to see some better speed for you. What speeds were you getting with the Thai setup? I know mod v’s aren’t the best for long tails but man I was hoping to see better numbers. Did you get some more low end from the new set up than you had before? I am not looking to rocket through the marsh but I am hoping to have enough umph to keep me out of trouble if the 2 foot whitecaps kick up. Thanks for your post and here’s hoping that other prop gets you some better numbers. I’ll be watching. Cheers

4. warrenwaterfowler

I think I just need to make some adjustments. I never got the surface tracer plate to ride at the surface like it is supposed too. - found out last night that I actyally shimmed it the opposite way from what I should have. That's fixed now and The next ride should tell me more.

As far as low end toque, it had plenty- had the boat in mud that it was sitting on-not floating- and it powered us out and thru it.

Like I said, i think the prop size I went with has alot to do with it to. I will order the 9x7 and see how that works too. Jake at backwater said the 9x6 was slower, but better with a hunting payload.

I wasn't getting much better speeds with my thai kit-maybe 1 or 2 mph difference....but the swomp lite drove so smooth and easy, my arm didn't feel like it was gonna fall off after a short ride.

I'll try to follow up with more updates next weekend.

In the meantime any tips or advice from others who know more than me are definitely welcome

5. warrenwaterfowler

Correction- i am running the 9x5 and Would step up to the 9x6 for more speed

6. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

warren, Jake correctly diagnosed my swomp 26.5 on my 1648 grizzly- he suggested putting the versa mount "inboard" style and move the prop up a few inches away from the "whitewater". I ended up not needing any shimming, and I had my bump stop too far up.

7. warrenwaterfowler

Thanks....yeah. I'm not discouraged at all. I talked to Jake last week and he said to try the shims(correctly) 1st and see if that gets the tracer plate at or near the surface- which I plan to do tomorrow on the 2nd test run.

Once I can get the plate running right I'll have a better idea on real top speeds/performance. If that still doesn't work he said to get back to him for more help.

I expected there would be some fine tuning needed to get everything just right. Every boat/payload is different and it takes some tweaking to get set up for optimal performance.

Customer service before and after the sale has been nothing short of excellent from Jake at Backwater.

It's been tough to make time to get out for test drives as the weather up here has been crap most of the last few weekends...and when it's good it's hard to say no to a trip to Saginaw river/Saginaw Bay for walleyes

8. Glades Ranger

Took me a while, trying both a 9x6 and 9x7 prop w/ 26.5 efi. I lived in Oak Park, MI from 1960-1969, got up to Grayling and learned to waterski, but never got to experience hunting up there, but I know it was in my blood. Bass fishing has been good this past month, with water levels going down and heat rising...I start musing about teal season in September. You get any ringnecks in Saginaw Bay?

9. warrenwaterfowler

We get a few. They tend to push thru early in the season in October....rarely see them after nov 1. Staple divers on Saginaw Baw are Scaup, redheads, and canvasback...but we shoot alot of golden eye, buffle head, rudy's and old squaw for sausage too

10. Glades Ranger

Hat's off to you guys who brave those cold waters!