New to deer hunting

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by chris2500hd, Oct 16, 2012.

1. chris2500hd

chris2500hd Senior Refuge Member

I am new to deer hunting and was wondering if you guys could help me out.I have been watching a group of does walk out of my neighbors property every night and I have permission from him to hunt it. Here is the catch. His property is directly off off a highway that the deer cross to get to a been field. So if i shoot one there is a pretty good chance it will run wildly into the highway over to the bean field. I have also obtained permission from the farmer to retrieve a deer if need be but he will not allow me to hunt it . I do not like the idea of sending a wounded deer across the highway and the deer only travel that small corner of his property before going on to another persons property. What are your thoughts thanks if advanced for your answers.

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

It's hard to imagine exactly what your spot looks like, but from what you said, I think I'd probably find another place to hunt.

How far away from the roadway is it? What are you going to be hunting with? Probably a bow since you posted here. :)

If you can pick your shots carfully, maybe it would work out.

3. chris2500hd

Yes I will be hunting with a bow. I will be placing myself as far back from the road as possible. Its maybe 80 yards at the most from the highway. I will try and get an image posted so you can better understand

4. northerner

northerner Senior Refuge Member

If the deer are crossing the highway to feed, there is a good chance they won't run that way if hit...no guarantees, but you might be ok.

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Maybe you could put up a couple of those deer crossing signs with an arrow sticking out of the deer. :yes

6. chris2500hd

:l :l:l:l or i could just move the crossing to another place that more convenient for me . http://www.viddler.com/v/800b0af0

7. huntnharris

huntnharris Senior Refuge Member

Agreed. If a deer is shot or spooked in any way, they will head for cover not to be seen, higly not likely to run out into a wide open field. JMO

8. waterfowler81

waterfowler81 Senior Refuge Member

Last doe I shot 2 weeks ago come out of the trees onto the edge of a bean field where I shot her at 20 yards. The doe bolted strait out into the cut bean field and died within 50 yards. It is very very hard to predict what deer will do when hit. I say hunt it!

9. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Same here. I shot one last night that ran right out into a cut corn field and died. Mortally wounded deer usually choose the path of least resistance if one is afforded to them.. until that final moment... then they will jump off in something thick in an attempt to hide. Very rarely will you have one hop a fence if it has a good hit put on it.