New to diver hunting

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Duane Read, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Duane Read

Duane Read Senior Refuge Member

Hi all I'm looking to get into diver hunting next season. I have been duck hunting for a long time however never specifically targeted divers. One of my big questions is how do you anchor your boat for hunting? Do you just use a single bow anchor or one off the stern and bow? I know it seems like a stupid question but I will take all the advice I can get. I live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and will be hunting the Chesapeake Bay

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I would suggest doing what we do. Use a single anchor with a long rope and a Herter's 81 Brant decoy as an anchor bouy. Then fight the boat's position all day while talking about needing to rig some sort of rear anchor system.

3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Don't do it.
    Ungodly number of decoys, big boats/motors, dangerous big water, broken equipment, fixing the foam longline decoy rig every summer, destroys guns, too much time/money invested, birds show up for about 3 weeks if you're lucky, ice, layout boats, beats the fire out of dogs....it's an illness.

That said, we run lines off the bow (long line to hold the boat) and stern (short line to keep it steady). Go find 2 old crab pot bouts to slide over the anchor line, rig up a clip/loops to a cleat so you can just unhook and go chase down cripples then come back and be ready to go without re-setting the damn anchors.

4. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

I use two anchors. I am usually in shallow water,less than 10 feet. I have two anchor lines,camo colored cheap lines, 50 foot long each one. After the decoys are put out I drop the front anchor so the boat will sit where I want it to. I pay out anchor line to the end of the first line and then clip it to the second line and continue paying out line until I run out, then drop the second anchor.
    I pull the boat forward and unclip the two lines. I clip the front line to a loop on the painter tied to the bow eye. The painter is long enough to reach the forward cleat with the anchor line snug against the painter loop. The loop is far enough from the bowline so that pulling the end of the painter line the loop and clip can be comfortably handled.
    Painter and anchor line is dropped overboard and stern anchor is pulled taught and cleated to a stern cleat.
    When moving the boat to pick up a bird the stern line is unclipped and brought forward. The bow line is pulled in and the two are clipped together. A bouy with a long line clip is attached and boat is carefully backed away from the lines.
    You must alway have another anchor and rode ready when you move the boat. Minimum required is three anchored when you leave the dock. I use two small claw anchors with 5 feet of chain for anchoring the boat and a larger anchor with better line as my safety anchor.
    For some reason I get confused handling the two lines. I once lost two anchors in one week by dropping an anchor line before they were clipped together. This year I only lost one. We were using the sneakbox as a layout boat and a friend and chief decoy shooter dropped the bow line overboard while getting ready to pick up. As he floated away I asked him what he was doing. His only reply was” I owe you an anchor”.

5. markd

That's why you slide the crab pot buoy over the anchor line. Problem solved.

6. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

Now that makes sense. Small bouy is all I would need. Three anchors too late.

7. Duane Read

The area I would be hunting is the same area I have hunted the whole time just would be targeting different species and possibly hunting in the open instead of from shore. I am always thinking and working on stuff for the next season. I am in the process of getting a new bigger boat as we speak, an 1800 maycraft with a 90hp Yamaha that will be my new family/ hunting boat

8. markd

Nice rig. Maycrafts are good boats for the bay. You'll be catching specks, reds and shooting ducks out of it for a long time.

Duane Read likes this.
  9. Duane Read

Yeah I'm really lookikng forward to it, plus it only drafts 11" so I can still get back to some of my spots for hunt puddle ducks too

10. PaCowboy

PaCowboy Refuge Member

Hunting the open Tidal Water of NJ, it's always windy and plenty of tide to contend with. You'll need 150 foot of anchor rope with a Danforth anchor and 4 foot of chain on each end, a pair of duck decoys attached with a long line clip to the middle of the anchor rope. Always anchor with the wind, throw the upwind anchor first, play out the rope and toss 2nd anchor. Got 2 loops tied into the anchor rope where the decoys are attached, then using the loops attach anchor rope to the front and back boat cleats. Pull in any slack in the rope to get a tight anchor rope. It's a quick disconnect and the 2 duck decoys always remain on the anchor rope. This eliminates the boat swaying that often causes problems.

anchor.jpg

Rubberhead likes this.