New to dog training.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

I have trained dogs using the water dog books and have always had meat dogs that got that got my birds and brought them back and sat and waited for the next one down.Im guilty of not training them to their potential .
    I did all my due diligence/research on the breeder and despite that she came with mange which was terrible and affected her concentration and training and perhaps her attitude.She is not stupid but very strong willed and pig headed....That asside, i have been working on basic obedience like sit/stay and off and making here wait till we say ok to eat and leave it as well as fetching bumpers in the garage and outside when weather permits.
    She has come along way health wise from the condition we got her in and we really like her.

I messed up not using a check cord to bring the paint rollers and dummies all the way back and now she wants to play keep away and when she does come back to me on the check cord she does not want to let the roller or bumper go and has a really firm grip on it.

What would you guys suggest. She is 6 months now and i have the hilman puppy dvd but we are not even to the point where he is with a much younger pup.She wants to either hold onto the dummy or not bring it back.

I have shortened her training to ony a half dozen throws twice a day and continue to work on her manners around the house and her pulling on the lead.We switched to an ez-lead and she still want to pull on that or chew on the leash and shake it violantly.

My previous 3 dogs ahd totally different dispositions.This one is a wild child and wants to be dominant.She was the only black female in her litter and the smallest .We love on here all the time .

Attached Files:

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Well, given the above.......it is not the pup that's the issue. Also, given the above, it is fairly obvious
    the pup is not responsive. That is to say the two of you are not working together. The bumpers, lead and
    distance are out of "whack"....I mean balance. Responsiveness should be the focus. It is not there.

So "what is the solution"? Generally the easiest way to make adjustments is to simplify. Let's see....how?
    Well, first of all go for long, free walks in wide open spaces and say nothing to her.......just walk. When
    she "checks back in" praise and stroke.....good dog. Then continue walking. Do this every day for at least
    a week......no bumpers just you and the dog....."pals". You must become a different person......in her
    eyes.....not the other way around. She just might (if you do this correctly) no longer appear to be "pig
    headed". Remember, there is no bumper involved and no lead. Until the two of you are engaged and enjoying
    just being together......well.......by now you will either agree or have stopped reading. :h

If and when you get there......write another post. :reader

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Doc E likes this.
  3. Easterncanadafowler

Ok, i will try that and work on a better bond.When we are chilling in the house she wants to be right on me and i don't mind at all.
    I will report back in a week or so.

What would you suggest to say get her in the house from outside when she wants to stay out and you want her in cus it's -22C without the wind chill

4. KwickLabs

Have a crate in the house..."den". Who is training who? :h

5. Easterncanadafowler

She is crate trained but we let hang out with us and is usually between us on the couch in the basement when not in the crate.Thanks

6. KwickLabs

Winters are not easy in the winter.....and you are farther north than we are.

7. Easterncanadafowler

Last night we went for a mile long walk and let here run off lead and she would kinda check in but likes to run right past us.The time she checked in we praised her and off again she would go.No bumpers and lots of extra love and hopefully bonding time for the next week.I am willing to do as you suggest since i want to do what is correct.Thanks

Doc E, KwickLabs and Timber Hole like this.
  8. KwickLabs

Good for you!....and her. :tu

Keep in mind that what you have begun is the initial phase of producing a conditioned
    response......ENGAGEMENT. It will become one of many in a sequential process. Every
    step must be practiced (repeated precisely many, many times in a fun, exciting
    manner
    ). A well trained dog performs as if "This is what I do because it is all I know"
    (as does a poorly trained dog).

"Teaching and precise practice" is best when it is seamless. AND this is how it should be
    for every new "thing" you ask her to do.

When your dog perceives you as the regular provider of fun, exciting action....you
    become a "teaching" trainer.

9. Easterncanadafowler

I let her stay in the garage with me last nigh chewing on an kong filled with natural peanut butter as i was busy working on something in the garage.My theory there is the more she is around me the better the bond will be and i'm not trying to force the bond since sometime if you make over her or pet her she doesnt like that.evr since we brought her home she was nervous or skitish about us touching her let alone her showing her belly or laying on her back however she is getting more comfortable with that but come to think of it she hardly ever lays on her back..

10. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Laying on the back is a submissive (and very trusting) posture.
    I like a dog to periodically roll over on it's back and expose the stomach
    (and the rest) to get some lovin.