New to duck hunting

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Armend Tagani, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Armend Tagani

Armend Tagani New Member

As the title states I'm completely new to duck calling. Just went for the first time this past Friday and I love it. I have no calls, decoys or a dog so I just set up next to a river and shot at the ducks that were passing or the ones that decided they might want to land in the open spot (much of the river was covered in ice). Ended up with 1 black duck, 2 mergs and 2 geese. Well I figure if I want to get more serious about duck hunting ill need a call and some decoys. Being that I know pretty much nothing about calls I figured I would ask the experts on here.

I live in NYC, but usually hunt upstate NY. Its a bit easier for me to hunt Long Island as im right there and the season extends way past deer season, which allows me more time to get out there. Its mostly diver duck hunting from what i see, but there are decent amounts of puddle ducks along the Islands salt marshes and brackish water. I'm a little more interested in puddle duck hunting as I don't want to target ducks that I know I wont be eating, but ill take what i can get for now I guess.

Where would you suggest a new guy to start. Open to any and all suggestions/tips.

2. Randy_Cesco

Randy_Cesco Elite Refuge Member

A good place for anyone to start is by getting yourself a couple of instructional DVD's on calling. Two that come to mind are Bad Grammer by Molt Gear for goose calling and Carlson's Championship Calls has a good one for duck calling. You can pick up some great pre owned calls on the refuge gang classifieds. As far as decoys go, you want to match the hatch so to speak. Not sure if your packing everything in or what, but if you are the foam filled decoys are pretty heavy but are every durable. Weigh the pros and cons and go from there.