Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

New to Mobile area.

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by chris0369, Oct 5, 2013.

1. chris0369

chris0369 Senior Refuge Member

Greetings to all, well the Marine Corps has hooked me up with my 4th state since 2008 and I now call Mobile home. I have been out on the Delta/Bay area a few times and I am pretty excited about the duck opportunities down here. That being said if anyone without a boat but good knowledge of the area or someone with a boat needs a few extra decoys and a guy in the shotgun seat to help balance the boat I am available for most of the duck season. I don't want a free ride but scouting an area the size of the Mobile-Tensaw Delta blind other than Google Earth to help out can be a daunting task so I am open to any tips about the area or good jumping off points for my scouting forays. Thanks and looking forward to duck seasons for the next 3 years here in AL.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

The only walk in areas are in the North part of the delta. You can get maps for free at the AL DNR site and they will show roads and boundaries. You will be mostly shooting wood ducks and an occasional teal up there. Mallards forgot about the delta many years ago. The southern end of the delta, near the Causeway, offers a more mixed bag- gadwalls, teal, spoonies, and divers. This area is only accessible by boat. A series of deep rivers and channels separates the huntable areas from everything else. Good luck

3. chris0369

chris0369 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks duckslayer. I have a boat so I can get to most areas. No mud motor so I do have some limitations. I hunted divers pretty regular in NC so I am hoping to do a little more of that down here. I have been all around the causeway with the boat but I definitely need to get north of 65 on a scouting trip sometime soon.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

4. TheDuckSlayer

Yea you will be very limited on the causeway with an outboard. The area becomes extremely shallow In winter with the North winds. Last year was a good year for divers. We had lots of bluebills and redheads show up. Again, good luck to you.

5. gascrewgunn

gascrewgunn Senior Refuge Member

:scratch: scratch Nobody even hunted the Mobile Delta until the mud motor...go over there before the season on a dead low tide...see where the channels are...buy yourself a pushpole...and get after it about a week after the season comes in so most of the heartburn crew will be out of the way...and only believe most of what you see on here...go see for yourself:tu

6. TheDuckSlayer

Yep try push poling a quarter mile against a 30 knot North wind and see how far you get.
    :rolleyes:
    yes you can hunt the causeway with an outboard. I did it for many years. But there are places you can NOT get to with a low tide and strong North wind. You could in the past, but years of siltation due to hurricanes and runoff has made it impossible. Polecat bay USED to be 8 ft deep. But im sure you knew that, gascrew.:rolleyes:

Chris, feel free to pm me for more specific info.

7. T Lee

T Lee Senior Refuge Member

plenty of places to hunt over there with an outboard, even on low tide. the mud motors make it easy, but its not a necessity. just scout it out on a good low tide, take your gps, and mark your channels on it. it will be very crowded the first 10 days or so then the wanna be's will bail out. been hunting over there for going on 18 seasons now, any questions just ask, good luck to you :tu

8. quackadikt

quackadikt Elite Refuge Member

The Mobile Delta is the best place to duck hunt in the world...

9. TheDuckSlayer

Naw I heard New Mexico is. The San Lucas Wetback Refuge winters like 335,000,000 pintails or something. Go troll elsewhere

10. quackadikt

quackadikt Elite Refuge Member

Don't be mad that duck hunting sucks in Alabama. At least you've got football.