New to Refuge / Moving to ND!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by drube75, Apr 23, 2017.

1. drube75

drube75 New Member

Hey everyone, as the title states in new to the forum and I finally received orders to Minot AFB, ND after several years of applying. I have been stationed in New Mexico for the past 5 years, so I am very familiar with how the public land system works down here. I am asking for some pointers on how to get involved and find legal land to hunt in ND. I appreciate all of your help and look forward to being an active member of the site! Thank you.

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to the Fuge from a retired Chief. Minot is not for everyone, but if you like hunting and fishing you will love ND. Public land, there is tons of it. Private land is often available to hunt just for asking, and if unposted and not a standing crop, you do not need permission to hunt.

In my 20 years of going up there, I have couple simple take aways.

1st - the average North Dakotan, especial those rural, are some of the friendliest folks you will meet.

2nd - asking for ducks/geese will almost always be a yes. Asking for deer or pheasant might be a no, but often is a temporary no (like they save opening week or weekend for friends family and will let you on after).

3. drube75

drube75 New Member

Coot, thanks for your reply and also for your service? Are you still local in the Minot area? I appreciate all of the info. It's going to be a whole new world from New Mexico, or even western hunting in general! Looks like I'm going to have to pull the Benelli out of the safe!

4. drube75

drube75 New Member

That was supposed to be an explanation point after service, my apologies!

5. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

No - never actually stationed there (I was in the AMC world). Hit the base a few times because of commissary/BX privileges. Started going up to NoDak back in the 90s for waterfowl. Have had some truly epic times up north. Living in the state you will have some negatives (WINTER) but if you don't need bright lights and big cities - the hunting and fishing can be phenomenal. You can hunt ducks, geese, swans, cranes, grouse, pheasant, partridge, turkey and that is just birds. Small game and furbearers are plentiful. Big game varies. Way west you have nearly all the big game found in Montana, east of the Missouri river you are looking at mostly whitetail. You also have some excellent fishing. Best of all you are getting paid to live there.

6. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Welcome to the Refuge