New to seaduckin

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by duckbuster5901, Dec 28, 2016.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Curious as to how far different gunners normally set up off to side of their decoy spread when gunnin scoters. Set up couple days ago in slick calm conditions with rig of homemade y boards and sleds. Had no problem at all attracting birds to spread but bulk wanted to pass at about 60 yds or so. I had boat blind set along side of rig about 20 yds off closest string. with 2 long strings deployed about 20' apart. Did manage to kill a few at the 40 yd mark but just wasn,t happy with the way they reacted to boat blind positioning. Also tried setting at head of rig but birds would split rig even a little farther away. Any suggestions?

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I always set up for a crosswind as it keeps the birds looking at open water as they approach, not at your boat. I start with the closest string 10 yards from the boat and the farthest string is 25. I normally run the inside string with the upwind end starting at the boat and the tail is downwind then set the other strings upwind of that. They normally don't pull out or start to flare until they get close to the outer decoys, if the decoys are slightly upwind they get closer to you before they start to pull away.

3. duckbuster5901

If I understand you correctly then your running a line off stern of boat and then lines along side extending upwind of boat. So they,re flying up line off stern and then going by on outside strings? I was anchored with boat head into wind (only about 2mph). Had decoys stretched out roughly 40 yds in either direction of boat on 2 long lines. Both lines wereset up along side boat. Definately noticed them splitting boat more when I latter set boat across head of rig.

4. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

keep your decoys in range kill em at the edge

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The line isn't running off of the stern. The upwind end is 10 yards out from the side of the boat. Most of the time they fly by just outside of the decoys, keep the main body of your decoy spread 20-30 yards from your boat and they will fly by in good range.

6. duckbuster5901

Thanks. I,ll try that configuration next time out.

7. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

I always liked to have solid decoys in the front of the line. I reserve my best decoys for that spot. I put out at least a dozen in a tight group. Run the long lines behind them. The long lines are on a 20 foot anchor line to the first decoy, usually in less than 10 feet of water. Drop the anchors behind the solid decoys. This creates a gap between the long lines and the solids. That is my kill zone, about 20 to 30 feet of clear space where I don't have to worry about shooting the decoys.
    Most birds fly across this gap real low going toward the solids or they try to sit in the hole between the two groups.
    Boat is anchored, fore and aft, at right angles to the gap. That is anchored into the wind, where you can shoot through the gap.
    Here in NC I usually do not see large groups of scoter. Three dozen is all I usually put out.
    Rig out the broadbill decoys in the same fashion. Just use more stool.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  8. Moosechop

Moosechop Refuge Member

I'm also new to sea ducks. Would it be to much to ask if you guys could do some kind of diagram of decoy set ups??

9. duckbuster5901

So your setting your solids as individual weighted decoys as a hook or just a blob at upwind end of longlines?

10. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

I only put out a dozen individuals, on separate lines for scoter. I put them in one close blob. Run two long lines behind them, one off each "corner".i like to put the long line in a bit of a V instead of dead down wind.
    With broadbill I use over two dozen individuals and will put a hook into them . Run the long lines off one side of the long lines.
    Moosechop, sorry about the diagram. I have trouble just typing this.