Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

new to sillo's

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by evanupnorth, Apr 15, 2017.

1. evanupnorth

evanupnorth Refuge Member

Hey guys,

just getting back into snow goose hunting. Funds are short so I was only able to purchase 6 dozen sillosocks. I was able to pick up 10 Geese (1/2 1 man limit) my first time out this spring in Saskatchewan. I like the sillosocks, I had whiterocks in the past. Birds decoyed really well considering I only had 72dekes out.

however, when picking up and pulling them out, I noticed a few of them of the stakes ripping halfway through the head))

am I doing something wrong? do you staple the stakes in?

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Do your stakes have the hook on the end or the old style that are straight?

KID CREOLE likes this.
  3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

If they are the old style straight stake get a can of 3M spray adhesive. Spray the stakes and reinsert. Pick up and put out using the stakes instead of grabbing the coroplast head when possible.

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I have both silosocks and whiterocks. Whiterocks are much easier to deal with, but I do like to put the silosocks on the leading edge of my sets, as they look better and move better in higher winds than the whiterocks. The snows haven't made it this far north yet. Native hunters are hammering the mallards right now. Blizzard conditions today on Easter Sunday will make it a slaughter on the greenheads.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

If you have the old style stakes I'd order some hook stakes from SS. It'll make life way easier and you won't have to worry about the decoy flying off the stakes in high wind, your buddies pulling them off and leaving the stake there to be ran over by a pickup, etc. If you do have hooked stakes already and they are ripping half way through the head, maybe glue them? Have picked up thousands of SS and can't say I've ever had a stake rip through a head.

6. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Hey this is what I do, I like the old stakes I dip them in gorilla glue and then insert them. They never come out

callinfowl likes this.
  7. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I have both styles of stakes. The hooked ones are way better IMO. Tad bit longer and coated to help with rust. After installing, I tap the hook end into the top of the head and then run Gorilla glue over the hook to secure them in. Haven't had 1 come loose yet.

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Love gorilla glue. Waterproof and you even wet the parts before you apply the glue. Never seen a joint open after using it.

9. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

This is a third vote for the Gorilla Glue!