New to the forum. Plant id?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by STL11, Aug 18, 2017.

1. STL11

STL11 New Member

IMG_4144.JPG New to the forum been reading info from here for 2 yrs now. Recently built 2 small impoundments last yr with a lot of good info from this site. 1 impoundment was cleared from 15 yr old hardwoods and diked off. Didn't get to plant anything other than some millet due to stumps still being there but as i was bush hogging paths the other day noticed some weeds i am unsure about. It has a lot of weeds mixed in but its the leafy plant with the white seed head. Any idea what it is and any good for ducks or not? Think i'm going to expand this impoundment from 3 acres to 6 this spring and install a small well and shoot for doing more natural moist soil management. Still trying to learn the ropes of what is good and what isn't. Thanks!

2. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

At first glance I would say a smartweed variety but someone much more gifted than I would need to opine here because I'm far from an expert (I did get my moist soil book in the mail the other day so I will have to snoop there when I get home - lots of pictures for simple guys like me :). I bet Clayton or JFG will know!

STL11 likes this.
  3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

It's definitely some sort of smartweed (Polygonum sp.). Possibly mild water pepper. Smartweed, at least here in the north, is a good duck food and is a key component to moist soil duck impoundments here in Minnesota.

STL11 likes this.
  4. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

STL11 likes this.
  5. STL11

STL11 New Member

IMG_4145.JPG
    Here is a little bigger pic. Mixed in with a lot of other vegetation. There is some nutsedge in it i have identified but not much. Rest i'm unsure about

6. STL11

STL11 New Member

Thanks that definitely looks pretty close to it. The ph is way down on this plot right now so that most likely explains the lighter green color to the plants. I was wondering smartweed but only kind i have seen is the pink although i'm slowly learning all the varieties of these different moist soil plants. Considering trying to do the whole place in moist soil once i get a well put in place

7. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Up here we call it Swamp Smartweed. It is good duck food but not as prolific as its first cousin PA Smartweed.

STL11 likes this.
  8. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

100% smartweed. Knotted growth plus flowers. Larger than water pepper. Not PA smartweed- which is pink and/or white blooms I believe

WHUP ! Hen and STL11 like this.
  9. STL11

STL11 New Member

Is there a better time than another to drawn down or spray to release more of this?

10. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

On that note....Since it can grow pretty tall, when would/can you cut this to keep it lower and more available to the ducks and still have seed heads?