New to the forum

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by ladygreenhead, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ladygreenhead

ladygreenhead New Member

Hi ladies. I am new to the forum and was wondering how many if you turkey hunt? I have been a hunter for a few years now and enjoy it very much. I started out just to spend time with the hubby and soon realized why he loves it. How did you get into it?

2. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Senior Refuge Member

Welcome!

Are you bow hunting turkeys? I haven't done that but want to do that one day. I'm a pretty decent shot if the land is flat, out to 40 yards, but need to work in different scenario's to see how I do.

Right now I'm busy working with my dogs and running hunt tests. I have one choc lab (from Kimmie), he's going to finish up his Sr title (in the next two tests I'm praying) and possibly start running masters in April. I have another lab that turned one today and has one JR pass, we'll be running again this weekend and next and then have to wait for another test close to get her title. I'm working towards getting as far as running Sr's by the end of the summer. We'll see how it goes, I'm new at this.

What part of CA do you hunt?

Val

3. ladygreenhead

ladygreenhead New Member

Thanks for the welcome. This is my first year bow hunting. We'll see how that goes. I've been doing a lot of practice shots that are so-so. I hunt central valley for most waterfowl and the central coast area(Monterey) for turkeys, pigs and deer. Did some.scouting yesterday and saw 3 flocks on different areas of the ranch we hunt. 60 turkeys total with 12 long beards. Should be a good season if this weather doesn't move them out. Good luck to you with the dogs. They are amazing creatures aren't they? We have a 1 year old yellow female. Thanks again for the welcome there are not too many gals in my area that hunt so it will be nice to have someone to share with.

4. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

Welcome to the board! I do not turkey hunt but would love to try it some time. Need to start knocking on doors for permission. My main focus is waterfowl and upland game. I have two black labs one 3 yrs and 1 8mo old. It's been really fun to watch the young pup progress, just finished her force fetching.

I was snow goose hunting in Mo 2 weeks ago and had an awesome hunt there. Saw millions of birds, quite the spectacle, one day we had 89 birds in the bag at 8:30 in the morning and ended the day with 107 total birds. Had a sore shoulder that day.

Good luck with your hunt and let us know how you do.