New to the Group

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Jawhawk, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Jawhawk

Jawhawk New Member

Gentlemen- I am new to the Forum and new to managing my own habitat. This year is the first year that I implemented my moist soil program. Off to a decent start from a vegetation standpoint. I am looking for some guidance though. My concern is my vegetation is very thick and my buddies believe its too tall.

Any thoughts on cutting it back before the season and if so how much would you cut it back? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. GooseNukem

GooseNukem Refuge Member

Just depends on how big you impoundment is I suppose. I have a 20 acre moist soil unit and the only thing I mow down before I put the water back on it is just a large shooting hole in front of the blind. Come fall and after the water has been on it for a while that thick growth, especially barnyard grass and walters millet etc. will lay down and thin out. On the flip side of that, early on, it is nice to have some open water showing for passing birds to eye up. Feel free to experiment and mow a few areas down.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

As mentioned above, it really depends on what type moist soil plants you have. Millets will definitely thin out quickly, a good tall stand of panic grass wont. You must try to balance the "cover" and the shown water. First year my hunting partner convinced me to leave it all tall. I objected and open up only a couple places/ holes. Didn't work out to good. Last year we opened up even more. Much better bird usage, especially late in the season. This year we have bush hogged it twice. The goal is to keep it low to show the eventual water, yet allow for the panicles to produce a good seed head. I think we are on schedule for that based on what I'm seeing. Yes, you do need some taller cover but in our case we have corn in between our moist soil.

Good luck, there are a good number of guys on here with a lot more experience than me that will offer you some solid guidance.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

5. Jawhawk

Jawhawk New Member

Great Feedback Gentlemen-
    Thank you

6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I've got PA Smartweed thick and as tall as the top on a 4x4 pickup. We have always hitched a 16 foot cattle panel behind a 4 wheeler and knock it down, sometimes it takes two passes. Works for us.