New to WA

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Duck_Lover, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Duck_Lover

Duck_Lover Refuge Member

Hi folks,

My name is Matt and I am a graduate student. I moved to the state about 3 months ago. Before that, I hunted in northern California specifically in public refuges such as Delevan, Colusa, Sacramento as well as some mid-valley refuges Volta, Los Banos. I have great memories on those hunts.

I bought my hunting license here, but I have some difficulties to buy a shotgun since I am in the middle of the permanent residency (Green Card) process. I learned that Washington State requires “Alien firearm license" if you have a nonimmigrant status. The worst part is it takes 60 days to get this license which means the end of the waterfowl season if I apply now. Since in California there is no requirement like this, I could not figure it out which is so painful.

I have a question and request about my situation.
    First: Can I hunt with someone else’s gun if I have all required hunting licenses? I really do not want to miss the season!

Second: I highly appreciate if someone invites me to his hunts. I can bring food, provide shells and record your kills. Since hunting is my lifestyle, I cannot give up. Being in the field and living the moment is priceless for me. Also I am great person.

Thank you for your time and good luck for the future hunts[​IMG]

Matt

2. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

Sure lets go.....we will only shoot lead, and no limits....the ones we don't want to clean we will stomp into the mud....maybe if we get lucky, we will find somone else hunting and steal his enclosed trailer

3. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

:l:l:l:l:l Easy CT easy!! Being from Cali he should be use to this!

CurrencyTrader likes this.
  4. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Honest question. What gun did you hunt with in California? Where is that gun?

Adam

5. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

Welcome Duck_Lover to Washington. Beings your on the west side it won’t be much of a transition from Cali. Sorry bout that.
    As for the lending of a gun to hunt, that’s a no go. Washington passsd a law saying you can not loan someone a gun for any reason without a background check, if I recall correctly, so that’s a no no.
    You may be able to get someone to take you out without shooting but as far as hunting, there’s always next year.
    Best of luck and this would be a great time to do some scouting so you’ll be ready for next year.

6. Duck_Lover

Duck_Lover Refuge Member

CurrencyTrader I like your humor lol. Lets go and hunt then:)) Whenever I wrote something like that in a hunting forum I faced with this classic humor that I made several time as well:)

Adam, I used remington 870 and end of the season I sold it because I could not get used to pump gun. All of my life I used semiauto (Franchi Affinity) also because of pump action I missed lots of bird.

Wareagle1, thank you for answer. I thought that maybe in the field I can only use it but what I understand from your answer it is not possible at all. I did several scouting already. This winter will be tough for me only watching the birds..

Thanks!

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

A few years ago I had eye problems that needed treatment and I couldn't shoot a gun so I bow hunted. You could always try that. I do it at times although I'm not very successful. WidgeonmanGH does it and he gets some birds and has posted vids of the hunts. He lands the birds and water swats them, I take what shots I can get, flying or not. Better than not hunting at all and a HUGE challenge.

Duck_Lover likes this.
  8. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Senior Refuge Member

Welcome to WA, I think with our last gun law we actually surpassed CA for the worst gun control in the nation....

This was the first I have heard of the Alien Firearm License, so I had to look that up to see what other unknown gun law I could likely be violating as a responsible gun owner....
    I was going to suggest you take a weekend trip over to ID and buy a shotgun there and come on back, but the RCW 9.41.173 provides your answer. You are not getting a license to buy a firearm you are getting a license to carry or possess a firearm.
    (2) The sheriff of the county shall within sixty days after the filing of an application of a nonimmigrant alien residing in the state of Washington, issue an alien firearm license to such person to carry or possess a firearm for the purposes of hunting and sport shooting. The license shall be good for two years

If you are going to be here for next season, suggest you scout and find spots, set up, work on your calling, and take pictures as they are landing...

I didn't have time but you may want to do some searching on the WA RCWs to find the definition of firearm- Maybe that shotguns are excluded but I doubt it.
    If you read WA I-1639 you could almost argue that they just made Berettas and other gas operated Shotguns assault weapons with their new definitions.

Duck_Lover likes this.
  9. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

To bad about the 870.... where is the Franchi?

Duck_Lover likes this.
  10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but under I-594, the Temporary Transfer of a Firearm, Section 4.f.v, it states:

"(v) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm & the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all training and holds all licenses or permits required for for such hunting, provided that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law". Maybe I'm misreading that, but wouldn't it mean you could loan a person that shotgun if they meet this criteria?

Over The Decoys and Duck_Lover like this.