New Tractor help....LS?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Trophyduck, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I have never heard of LS before today reading some posts.....We just purchased a 50 acre horse farm....about 50/50 wooded/pasture.
    I am going to need/want a tractor. Up until now it was Kubota, JD and Mahindra as my considerations. Now I hear of the LS. (which I understand are a pretty good piece of machinery)
    I am a greenhorn when it comes to tractors so what advice can you give me? thanks

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I know nothing about tractors.

But,

Is there a dealer close? For service. Always my first consideration when buying something that runs on dino juice.

I looked at a couple of 'review' sites, mainly blog sites like this one. One guy waited 4 months for a transmission part. Seems everything has to come from S. Korea. (nothing wrong with S. Korea tractors, they are leading the industry now) That would be my area of inquiry, service and repairs.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

LS is who makes any compact New Hollands (bet you've heard of them). New Holland just adds stickers, and charges about $10K more for their 46 horse. As Native pointed out, if you don't have a service rep close, you may wanna stick to another brand. My buddy liked his 4040 LS, but it was too small for his needs. He got a better deal on a Kioti, so he went that route. I don't think you'd like a 40/46 horse frame much.

Also, LS Tier IV uses an afterburner. When it gets time to go into afterburn mode, you lose about half your power. This isn't just an LS thing though. If you're going Tier IV, I'd recommend a different exhaust cleaning system setup. Some use DEF, like a semi-truck.

As with any tractor size, buy it by the pound... That extra weight will pay off. Compact Kubotas are light weight, high-horsepower tractors. Don't get fooled into thinking you need a lot of horsepower. You need weight, if you're lifting stuff. Otherwise, the back-end just comes off the ground.

WHUP ! Hen and Trophyduck like this.
  4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

You can get a wealth of information at www.tractorbynet.com. I own a 2014 LS XR 4046HC I bought new. I have over 500hrs. on it. I have a 400 acre waterfowl lease. Main use is loader work and mowing. It has been a great machine. I had a couple warranty repairs is all. I have heard of some with the tier 4 engines having issues when in regen. I have never lost any power with mine, never. The only way I know it's in a regen cycle are the dash lights. They are off the same line as New Holland with many interchangeable parts. There are many good brands out there. Some have better options than others. Maybe you already know if you want a cab or open station? Are you going to be in the timber much would be a consideration. Personally, I wouldn't own one without a cab. The air conditioning/heat is worth every penny.

Trophyduck likes this.
  5. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

LS are good tractors, tractorbynet is the best website for research so do yourself a favor and join or at least visit it, they have forums for each brand as well. I purchased a 40HP Kioti, really like it but wishing I had gone a little larger. It is a strong machine and haven't had any issues with it. I love the HST, probably wouldn't get one without since I do a ton of loader work and having an HST makes it a breeze.

Trophyduck likes this.
  6. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Thanks all. I checked out and joined tractorbtnet....as you said, full of info