New Trail Camera Regulation Now in Effect in Nevada

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by JDK, Jul 12, 2018.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

New Trail Camera Regulation Now in Effect
    Nevada outdoor enthusiasts,

The Nevada Department of Wildlife wants to ensure that all outdoor enthusiasts are aware of the new seasonal restrictions on the use of trail cameras.

Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada. The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission. The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate.

Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data. New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras. Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues. The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts. Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.

The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the land owner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31. The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.

NDOW recognizes that there are wholesome and legitimate uses of trail cameras, and unfortunately the use of cameras have been exploited far beyond most sportsmen’s definition of reasonable. If you come across a trail camera on public land from August 1 to December 31, NDOW is asking that you leave the camera alone, and consider calling an NDOW office to report its location.

You can view the complete adopted regulation here.

Sincerely,

Nevada Department of Wildlife

Flyfisher, Sweatliner and WILDDUX like this.
  2. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

Great news. The amount of bs going on out there, and in some other states (mostly by guides) has completely gotten out of hand.

Too much of a good thing and now those outfitters/spotters have to be regulated.

3. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Good deal

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

That and the selling of gps numbers online so people can just buy into an area that has a well know animal or number of animals and have a great starting point for their big time youtube channel hunt.
    I wish they would make it a Fed. law.......Job well done.:clap:clap:clap:tu

Gomer and Dan Mallia like this.
  5. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Now on to those darn robo ducks...:flame:flame:flame

Silver Wings, callinfowl and Gomer like this.
  6. callinfowl

I couldn't kill a duck without 2 goal posts 4 mojo's ,4 Wonder duks and 2 Vortex.
    Was I supposed to be paying attention when I was 5 yrs old???

I wish they would put a bounty on anything battery or electrical, shoot on site with video running and you get to kill 10 birds that are already an option, any species accumulated throughout the season.:yes:tu:tu:tu

Silver Wings likes this.
  7. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Elite Refuge Member

I think it sucks, honestly. Sucks in the aspect, that a good thing was ruined, out of pure selfishness and greed. I get it, I do, but the fact that the average Joe hunter can't use them... it's a shame. I hate public land guides, by and large... wish they'd limit their operations to private property. Ha, blood will boil, no doubt.

8. callinfowl

It's called fair chase for a reason, using surveillance cameras to find an animal is not fair chase. You're not playing a video game you're hunting leave the crutches at home to watch the squirrels in the yard and your old lady.:l:l:l

9. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

how will that be enforced? Is an agent supposed to site by the camera for days waiting until the owner collects it? do they tape a citation over the lens?

10. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

I dont agree with you there. Ive never got any data of a camera that actually helped me kill a deer. Never been able to pattern from a camera. If anything I just know whats in the area. I do though agree with the ruling. I can see how multiple people coming and going during the summer months and spreading scent all over a water source could have a negative effect. AND I could see how wifi enabled cameras that send pics to your phone gets in the way of fair chase. But for the most part game cams are something fun for the general hunter, they dont hardly help the hunter.