New truck warranty, good for life, anything goes wrong they fix or replace it for life!

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

This is just a test of course.

If you could buy a new truck but it cost twice as much as a normal comparable truck because they gave you a lifetime warranty to cover any problems. If they can't fix it they will give you a new truck how long would you hold them to their contract with you? Lifetime?

15 years?

I am just curious how many guys on here after a while would say I got my moneys worth so I am not going to bother them with my engine that just locked up.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

On a $250 jacket I expect to get good use out of it for 7 years before I wouldn't hold them to broken zippers, waterproofing.

I'd be happy if a truck warranty lasted 5 years/100k miles at this point. But I would not pay double for a lifetime warranty. I'd probably just buy a Toyota...

3. bsktball55

bsktball55 Senior Refuge Member

Paying twice as much... I would expect them to honor it for 4-500,000 miles. I expect my trucks to go 200,000 without having any major issues. If I am paying twice as much for it, I expect it to last twice as long.

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Paid just over $2K for a lifetime warranty on my wife's 2014 Jeep. It's a Chrysler warranty. Work is done at any Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge Ram dealership. $100 deductible (zero deductible is available). Never runs out but if your repair exceeds the value of the vehicle they reserve the right of paying you for the vehicle and saying bye bye. This would be YEARS down the road.

Going to do it on the RAM truck I bought in 2017, as we keep vehicles for a long time.

5. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Toyota, lifetime warranty

stevena198301 and ripline like this.
  6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Nope - no interest in a lifetime warranty. Keep fixing something old and eventually it gets too outdated to be anything except a relic.

I learned this the hard way. When wife and I got married 30 some years ago we splurged and bought a Curtis Mathes TV with a lifetime warranty. Warranty was great - lighting strike fry the board, no problem, here comes repair man with all new guts. Had several things repaired over the years at no cost.

Then the years go by and we have a big console TV when narrower but larger screens come out. Higher resolution comes out and we are stuck with antiquated tech. Eventually we got to where we couldn't hook it to a DVD player without a octopus looking cluster of adapters. After 12-13 years we made it go away. My first truck had manual windows, no AC, and an AM/FM radio. My current truck has power everything and Bluetooth connections. My next truck will have some amazing tech - not sure what but I am sure it will be amazing (maybe a completely automatic hitch system)

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

What'swith all the Toyota hype,owned 2 , 2nd one will be the last one.He was a real good salesman and I was a young fool.
    Nissan just came out with 5 year 100,000 warranty.I could live with that.

renoduckman and buck_master_2001 like this.
  8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Some of us like old tech. It's usually more reliable.

tomturkey likes this.
  9. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Just upgraded from an 04 f150 to a 97 Chevy 1500. 1st motor went out at 95k miles. 2nd motor went out at 200K. Of course, it's the cheap filters they use at the oil change place according to ford. Nevermind the fact that we have multiple vehicles of various models well north of the 150k mile mark that have had no issues with those same cheap filters. Ford will never get another penny from me no matter what warranty they offered.

sbezoey and tcc like this.
  10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I bought L.L. Bean Waders last June with a lifetime guarantee... Now they decide to switch to a one year guarantee..... I paid a premium for the waders at $300 with no issues and I like them.

But I may send them back just for spite on going back on a deal that was made.

I have no issue with them changing their policy on what they sell from here on out but they are basically guilty of selling me an insurance policy then deciding not to pay should I have issues...

tomturkey likes this.