Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

New Waterfowl Law In MD, What do ya think???

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by drahthaarducker, Sep 4, 2010.

1. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Thanks to the MWFA, we have reduced the offshore yardage in most Counties from 800 to 400 yards.

I was handing out MWFA litterature at the Somerset Blind Site drawing and explaining that the Pocomoke and Tangier sounds will now be open for offshore (cans, bb's, redheads, ect ect) as well as seaducks and that the new line is 400 not 800 yards. Everyone was pleased even a couple of guys from Queen Annes Co. who hunt down here, then they said "Hey, Don't try this up where we live!"

So I got to thinking why not change the law to say this.

If you are a resident, of a county, that does not allow blind sites (Q.A. & Kent) then you are NOT eligable for a blind site in any other county. You are also not eligable to hunt on ANY blindsite in the State of Maryland.

If you are a resident of a county that has an 800 yard limit for offshore/seaduck hunting You are NOT eligable to hunt within 800 yards of ANY shore line.

In addition fines will be set at a manditory $10,000 and you WILL forfit your Res. Lic. for 10 years if you are found to be hunting on a blindsite in Maryland or within 800 yards.

If these laws are passed then the majority of the (average Joe) hunters may have a larger voice than the few "Fat Cat" hunters/landowners/outfitters that the politicians are afraid to "**** off" or for selfish reasons want "Their Properties" to recieve special treatment that is not afforded to the rest of the state.

I'd really like to know what you guys think.
    I'm not trying to "Stir The Pot" but why should certain Counties be treated differently????
    They always have the option to lic. thier own shoreline?

2. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    April's fool?

If serious, I can't begin to fathom the legal ramifications of this type of law... What would be next, if you or your family doesn't own waterfront property, then you cannot hunt within 400 yds of any shoreline in any area of the State without first purchasing riparian rights from a land owner...

3. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

Without re hashing the old riparian rights of landowners vs. general public "rights" debate, most waterfront owners who are now locking up blind sites off their shoreline don't hunt and don't care at all whether you hunt. So your proposed "law" would have absolutely no effect on them. Your law only penalizes hunters. And just for the record, if you try to mess with waterfront I own I will fight you tooth and nail.

4. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

:amen :yes

I feel your pain :yes I've had that thrown in my face too :eek: by those who enjoy created opportunity but don't want it in their back yard. I've gotten over it after so many years. Some thought many years ago reducing the yardage would either fail in the General Assembly or on the water. The changes have succeeded on both counts shared by all who equally choose to access the opportunity. The comments from the little guy and big guy and all those in between appreciate efforts of stakeholders to provide additional hunting opportunity. We have to look at the BIGGER picture and don't worry about changing hunter attitudes in Counties that are not and don't want any part of these opportunities.

5. drahthaarducker

Slack , I'm assuming you live in one of these counties, why should you be able to come where I live without me being able to go where you live and choose a site.

Doc, license your land:doh

Mayor, why do these few counties get to choose, yet there residence go to other counties and compete for spots?????

This of course is a hypothetical question, way to many factors enter in. I'm just wondering the justifications for the minority of those counties that do not want to participate with all the other counties.

As an example: Why should I have to stand in line at home with Jeff and Alex, yet I can not stake at there court house!:confused:

6. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders Elite Refuge Member

I hunt mostly Baltimore county, which has more blindsite participants, than most counties, and I'm asked alot why can't we hunt in Kent/QA counties and I can't give them a honest working man's answer, other than if we mess with those counties, than we can lose all our rights to the Bull _ _ It system we have now !

I live In Baltimore City by choice and I don't care about rocking the boat in those counties..............

I wish someone from DNR/MD would man up and make everything fair to ALL Marylanders and not the CHOSEN few !

Dave I feel your pain, I would not personally go to those counties to get a site, but the residents of those counties should have the right to license shoreline that's not licensed like OUR other counties.

I believe it's time to fix this problem !

Bill

7. drahthaarducker

8. oupa

oupa Senior Refuge Member

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's not recomplicate things any more than it already is. For those familiar with the laws prior to the late ninties when several years were spent cleaning up decades of acumulated gibberish, the last thing we need to do is go back to such things. If anything, we need to make it more uniform. That said, there are some things that just don't work in some places. The confines of the upper Potomac for example. I am not personally familiar enough with the local specifics of either location cited in the original post but I can accept that those in the affected areas are happy. If not, let them lead the charge!
    Da Mayor put it quite eloquently! :tu

9. GEORGE ZAHRADKA

GEORGE ZAHRADKA Elite Refuge Member

you don't own the water sir......waterfront to the low water mark......we the people own the water....what will you say if I want to crab ''your'' water front or anything else I feel like doing......if I want to pull my boat 30yards from ''your'' beach and go fishing...theres nothing you can do about it....so how is that ANY different then waterfowl hunting:scratch:scratch:scratch
    most states are you hunt where you want to

10. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders Elite Refuge Member

Amen,Ronnie and George let the fight begin with the legislators !

I'm all in and raise you 1 !

Bill