Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

New Waterfowl Law In MD, What do ya think???

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by drahthaarducker, Sep 4, 2010.

1. RUSSELL HALLOCK

RUSSELL HALLOCK Elite Refuge Member

Can you please quote where I said that I do not utilize the system? I do not believe I have made that statement.

If I did, then that was a mistake on my part. I have used the system since I lost a property when a government entity purchased a piece of property that my family has hunted for nearly 60+ years and blocked out hunting.

The only thing that I do not care about is which system we adopt in Maryland because I can operate in any system. I love waterfowl hunting in Maryland. With that passion comes an idea to write an article on how to change the system to make it better, in my opinion.

I know waterfowlers are diverse but common sense would dictate that we have a system that the majority of the waterfowlers are happy using.
    You can not have several different systems that a waterfowler can choose to best fit them. This is not Burger King. Not everyone can have their way. With that being said, if we have a floating system or a blind site system I will be a successful waterfowl hunter in Maryland. That is why I do not care which system we have. The only problem I have is if we keep the blind site system is that waterfowl hunters should not be concerned with property owners or the government licensing property.

PS - Please don't take shots at me without reading the article. I am only participating in a discussion. Without everyone posting their opinions, we would not know where everyone stands on this subject.

2. RUSSELL HALLOCK

Beleive me, I am only a marginal caller and an average waterfowler in my opinion. I never said that I wanted to be the voice of the Maryland Waterfowler. If you read the article, I made 2 arguements regarding the waterfowl system. Keeoing our current system but reducing it down to 1 spot per day with a time limit of 5 minutes and the floating system. Pasted below is the final paragraph of my article.

The 1st Tuesday of August is the harbinger of waterfowl season for me because it is the first time that we make decisions that affect our upcoming waterfowl season. Even though our system is light years ahead of the numerous old systems that we have had, we can always strive to make improvements in our current blind site lottery. You may or may not like my suggestions of change but my goal for these suggested changes is to allow more waterfowlers to have an opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors of Maryland.

3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I understand, Im sorry if you think I took a shot at you. I did not.

This system, as it stands now........give some poor guy like me a chance, for 20 dollars, to own something I can take my family to and dictate who hunts what and when for the very short time every year. A little piece of pleasant living. A place that I know, I can go to at 4am or 4pm with my 11yr old, without fighting with anyone, getting into arguements with, having people drop the "fbomb" around my kids.....yelling at their dogs, over hunting/shooting, unsafe hunting practices.....or anything else you can think of. Yes this gives me the chance (for once) to dictate what goes on there, and for the few very short days each year, someone gets to use them, its nice and hard to give up.

I, like you, will be sucessful eitherway.....because I, like you, know where and how to hunt. Thats making the best of what we have.

4. carolina girl

Russell,
    Why dont you paste the whole article on here, so we all can read it.
    Crosswinds isnt available to everyone and it would be a nice jesture.

I like the 1 blindsite per day, that alone, will double hunting ops statewide.

5. RUSSELL HALLOCK

I totally understand your feelings and I can appreciate your stance. I do not have a problem with your opinion. I just floated 2 ideas on improving our current system in my article but they are only my opinions.

6. RUSSELL HALLOCK

If it is okay with Scott Christopher then I will but it is owned by him.

7. carolina girl

I understand

8. GEORGE ZAHRADKA

GEORGE ZAHRADKA Elite Refuge Member

9 times out of 10 there won't even be anyone hunting ....so why worry ?if someone beats you too it then go to the next best spot......you know very few people are out in the evening or the weekdays.....

I just want to have the sucessfulness you guys have!!!!!!

9. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

As Blind Site Historian, I have felt your pain, we do have a diverse waterfowling community :z I got hit by that truck in the early 90's so don't feel alone. I have not read your article but applaud your passion to raise the bar if any improvements can be realized. Please feel proud for taking those steps like those who walked before you who possessed the desire to improve access. Sometimes its so frustrating you can hear your brain rattle when conveying alternatives so don't take it personal. We have looked at some of other ideas over the years. Some of those ideas had merit and bugs too and those "users" said it's not perfect but I can live with what I have now.

We tried to re-invent the wheel in 1996, that failed in 1998 in General Assembly. We re-drafted in 1998, the GA accepted the package in 1999.
    So we have lived with the 10-600 series for 10 years which contributes why all "users" are not real "keen" on change. We have had to make improvements as we didn't have a "crystal ball" in 1998 for unforeseen problems like squatters showing up with all their friends, family and landscape crew to draw lottery numbers. That really burned us up after all the work to create fairer system from the Court House lotteries. Some of you will remember obtaining sites from the Court Houses. Some very selfish squatters took advantage of the system for self serving more blind sites than the 2 allowed.
    Their was a lesson learned, when you attempt to create more opportunity to have safeguards so not to cause a "system" breakdown creating other conflict with other "users". My concern if conflict is generated then others like our elected officials will legislate change leaving you out of the loop. Sometimes you have to drive that bus slow and easy like 'ol Pappy. :l

10. BadBean

BadBean Elite Refuge Member

Pappy would that be the little yellow bus with the flavored windows?
    :l

[​IMG]