New Web Push Notification Feature

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by admin1, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admin1

admin1 Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

We have implemented a new feature that makes it possible for you to receive push notifications from the site.

When logged in, you will see a link on the top bar next to your inbox that says Push Notifications:

pushright.jpg

What will Web Push Do?
    You will receive push notifications about subscribed content (watched forums, watched threads, someone quotes your post, etc) on your phone, PC, or tablet. The notifications are just like the ones you get from apps.

How Do I Subscribe?
    You must subscribe on a browser level. Meaning if you use a PC and a phone to access the site, you can subscribe on either, neither, or both. You click a little icon on the screen that enables you to subscribe. You can also choose to unsubscribe at any time.

What Type of Alerts will I get?
    All the alerts that are built into the normal alert system are available.

What if I don't want push notifications?
    It is an opt-in service. You will not receive them unless you purposely opt in.

How do I subscribe today?!
    When logged in to your account and when using one of the device/browser combinations that are compatible, you should see Push Notifications on the top right of the screen. Click it and subscribe.

Please note, if you don't see Push Notifiactions on the top right of the screen, it is because your device or browser does not support this feature. The supported browser/device combinations are:

Chrome: Supported on Windows, Android, Mac OS X, and Linux. Not supported on iOS.
    Safari: Supported only on Mac OS X. Not supported on iOS.
    Firefox: Supported on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. Coming soon to Android devices.

The summary is, webpush is available on most devices and browsers but not available on iphone/ipad. So if you use iphone/ipad solely to access the site, you won't be able to use this feature. This feature was mainly designed to deliver push notifications to you on a PC on Chrome. Don't blame me, blame Apple (they don't support webpush). But if you use a PC, Mac, Windows Phone or Android and use Chrome, Safari, or Firefox, this works. Chrome seems to work the best for this.

Once you subscribe, you will start to receive push notifications.

Preferences are available in your alert preferences section so that you may choose the type of alerts you receive. Click your username then Push Notifications. Or Click your username. click Alert Preferences, and then click push notifications on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why Would I want/need this? How are these different from the "Alerts"
    The difference between the on site alerts and the new push notifications is that the push notifications can be delivered to you off site. Just like you get push notifications on your phone even when you are not logged into an app or like when you get an email notifying you of subscribed content. Meanwhile, the on site alerts only show up when you log on the site. For example, if I posted a classified, then started browsing other sites, then someone replied to my classified, I would receive a notification on the bottom of my screen letting me know someone replied.

This thread is an FYI and is locked. If you have questions or issues with this new feature, please post the tech support forum. We hope you find this new feature useful!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. admin1

admin1 Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

we have updated this feature and edited the information in this thread accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.