Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

New world record elk.... fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by quackrstackr, Oct 3, 2006.

1. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

All over the AT forums the self appointed "photoshop experts" are pointing out discrepencies with color layering, mirrored images, etc.

To me just by how bad it would have demolished the previous record ... it's fake OR it's a pen raised animal fed a healthy dose of specific minerals and such over the last few years just waiting for some rich fool to come and do the deed.

2. offroadbaby

offroadbaby Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted the Selway and don't live that far from it. That thing is pen raised (if it's not photoshopped). The genetics aren't here for that class of bull, and the color is all wrong. The one guy isn't even in camo. I call B.S.:fp

3. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

I have heard all of the same rumors and the one i believe the most is that if it is not a photoshoped elk it is one of the elk that escaped from that elk farm in ID. Apparently one of the elk farms in ID had a fence fail and alot of their elk got loose, of course the owner not wanting to get in trouble never reported it and has yet to say how many animals were lost. Form the sound of it he is in big trouble with ID F&G

4. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Now on the B&C website.....

Look familiar? Supposedly a Quebec game farm.

That's just sad. Like walking out back and shooting the neighbor's prize angus.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

The water dish in the 2nd pic is just priceless!

6. jumpem

jumpem Elite Refuge Member

He is in big trouble, but the Selway is hundreds of miles from the game farm where the elk got loose. If someobody shot a bull from that farm and was dumb enough to post pics, they would be sued by the owner of the bull. Did i mention i hate game farms:mad:

7. AndyMo2005

AndyMo2005 Elite Refuge Member

If the guy really is a fraud, then he ought to hang.

But consider for a moment that he is not, and he is still catching a bunch of flak.

Anyone remember the new world record largemouth that was foul hooked then realised unharmed back into the wild? Those guys did the right thing, and they STILL caught a ration of crap about being upsportsmenlike etc etc.

Heck, I wouldn't want to shoot a world record in this day and age. It would ruin my love of the outdoors community. I wouldn't want to break a sports record either, for fear of being accused of doping. So much scandal going on out there now a days I'd just assume shoot cows and rag horns and stay low key.

But of course, if that thing walked by me in a fair chase situation, like anyone, I'd be proud to have him!

8. offroadbaby

offroadbaby Elite Refuge Member

Nope. Our Governor signed an executive order after they got loose to have them shot immediately by the F&G. I also heard they were issuing depridation tags to locals to hunt the critters down. My buddy is a F&G officer near there. For some reason ID has forgiven that idiot for WAY too many violations over the years. Maybe now they'll actually fry him.

PS-I hate game farms too.:mad:

9. jumpem

jumpem Elite Refuge Member

I'm glad to hear that. Last i'd heard he was threatening to sue anyone who shot his animals. Those conservation officers have been having a good time i'm sure, getting the order to go hunt trophy bulls and getting paid.:grvn

10. Brett

Brett Senior Refuge Member

So IF and I mean IF this was a game farm raised animal that got out and then shot later, can it be entered into the books or not? I would think no, then again the animal at the time was shot under "fair chase" rules. Granted it's proably not as wiley as a wild animal but at the time it was in the wild.

What if the hunter didn't know it was a former farm raised animal? I don't know, guess there's a lot of grey area still in my opinion.