Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

New world record elk.... fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by quackrstackr, Oct 3, 2006.

1. scoutdawg

scoutdawg Senior Refuge Member

It is a real elk. :l

Too bad there biggest bull is dead.

2. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

I have no particular problem with high fence hunt ranches.
    As always, some are good & some are bad. I've hunted a couple and found the ones I've researched & chosen very comparable to hunting elsewhere.

If this guy had the money to pay the trophy fee (which had to be huge) and chose to take this bull, more power to him. That doesn't make it wrong or illegal.

I didn't read anywhere that this guy tried to claim it as a world record shot in the wild. That was the usual internet hoax/rumor. Actually, this particular bull's existence on that game ranch was common knowledge.

Lately I've seen a lot of statements on internet forums of hunters condemning other hunter's who they don't agree with but are hunting legally. Game ranch hunting, buckshot deer hunting, roost/water hunting, you name it.

This sort of thing, hunters attacking other hunters, is one of the worst things we can do to ourselves and the outdoor lifestyle. If someone is doing something illegal, I'll be the first to throw him to the wolves, but we shouldn't attempt to force our personal ethics on others if their chosen pursuit is legal. We need to stand together...

3. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

NDT,

If we have an opinion on something, we have every right in the world to state it. It's not so much about "standing together" as it is about voicing what we believe in our hearts to be morally wrong.

I personally detest the idea of going out and shooting a penned-up animal. There is no way you'll ever convince me that it's anything even remotely resembling a standard of fair chase, and you'll never convince me that standing side-by-side with people who do this stuff is ever going to "preserve" any hunting heritage.

While I would never do so (go on a canned hunt), that doesn't mean I'm infringing on anyone else's "right" to do so.

4. DUCKGOD

DUCKGOD Elite Refuge Member

theres a HUGE difference in huntign in a 100 acre high fence and a 10,000 acre high fence. not all situations are to keep deer in, just keep the garbage out. not all high fenced facilities are "canned hunts". try huntign for 4 days and only seeing a hand full of deer in a 10,000 acre "pen". just cause its fenced doesn't mean its a gimme. I'm not condoning what that guy did, but there are huge differences between situations.

5. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

DG,

That's not what I meant and I believe you know that.

You're right in that 10,000 or 100,000 acre fenced properties are notably different, but what I take exception to is a situation where the Jimmy Houstons of this world "hunt" what amounts to a domesticated, penned animal.

6. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just "voicing my opinion".

By & large, the folks I've run across that most strenuously comdemn game ranches have never hunted one and have no actual first hand knowledge on which to base their opinion. They only "know" what they've read or heard.

By & large, I don't give much weight to the opinions of those who have not BTDT, no matter what the subject matter is...

7. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

it's the real deal folks. my neighbor's uncle's brother-in-law knows the man that killed the elk

old

8. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

It's a real tamie. Check those photos of it feeding from a trough.