New World Record Mule Deer

Discussion in 'Nevada Flyway Forum' started by JDK, Apr 18, 2017.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Nevada bowhunter harvests new world record typical mule deer

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: Frank Cheeney via Pope and Young
    It’s official: Nevada bowhunter Frank Cheeney now holds the world record for largest typical mule deer ever taken with a bow. Cheeney shot the monster buck on Aug. 13, 2016 while hunting with his son, Aaron, in southeastern Nevada. Luck was on his side as they stalked through the dusty sagebrush, trying to edge closer to a group of bucks bedded down. While Cheeney waited for a shot, the largest in the bunch stood, making this hunt one for the record books.

“As luck would have it, the breeze was blowing straight in my face as I headed towards the bucks,” said Cheeney in a press release. “They seemed oblivious to my presence. As fate would have it, the biggest buck stood up from his bed. I drew my bow and with the deer in my sights I let the arrow fly.”

That buck was measured during the Pope And Young Club’s (P&Y) 30th Biennial Convention by two separate panels consisting of qualified measurers as well as a Boone & Crockett representative. Cheeney’s buck scored 205 6/8", topping the previous typical mule deer world record at 205 0/8".

“This was the first time the Pope and Young Club has used a Special Panel for verification of a potential World Record trophy,” said Ed Fanchin, P&Y Records Chairman, in a press release. “The score was authenticated and this tremendous mule deer was declared the new Pope and Young Club World Record typical mule deer. Congratulations to Frank Cheeney and to the Nevada Department of Wildlife for using successful wildlife management practices. It’s great to know that deer of this caliber are still roaming the wilds of North America.”

An avid outdoorsman, Cheeney said that he learned how to hunt and fish by doing both with his dad, adding that, to him, hunting was always about more than just a trophy.

“[Hunting’s] always been about the time spent together with friends and family preparing for and carrying out hunting activities,” said Cheeney. “It’s about passing on skills and traditions that are a part of our heritage and way of life. It’s about sharing a campfire, good food and, even better, stories with family and neighbors. It’s about teaching my three kids to be ethical hunters and conservationist so that they can pass these same traditions on to their children.”

Congratulations, Frank Cheeney, on your amazing new record!

2. HEVI ON HONKERS

HEVI ON HONKERS Elite Refuge Member

WOW That's a keeper congarts very nice buck

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

That's an incredible buck. Frank Cheeney has topped them all! Congratulations to you Frank for a great stalk and a well placed arrow.

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Does P&Y allow velvet when scoring? If so it's a little BS to disadvantage the hard horn deer.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yes, they do.

6. CHEEKPATCH

CHEEKPATCH Senior Refuge Member

He stripped the velvet and measured it hard horned. There's no question it is the new record.