New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

New York Outdoor News

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by cwa1104sab, Mar 10, 2017.

1. cwa1104sab

cwa1104sab Elite Refuge Member

I just got my copy of NY outdoor news today (which I always think is a great magazine) and I read in the back under "Cuffs and Collars" about how in Suffolk this year at Otis Pike preserve there were tickets handed out to duck hunters and their licensed guide for hunting over bait amongst other violations. The DEC cops handed out 10 tickets for various things. It doesn't give much more info than that. But I would absolutely love to find out who it was as far as guide. I'm thinking the duck hunters were probably newbies who wanted to learn the ropes and thought they were getting a bargain. I'm hoping no regular waterfowler would pay a guide to hunt PUBLIC land here on Long Island.

Anyone hear anything about this or know who the licensed guide was ?? I'm sure he's a real reputable person... (Put the roll eyes sarcastic thing here) I'd love to find out who it was

2. Rich5294p

Rich5294p Senior Refuge Member

3. cwa1104sab

Rich, that was Jefferson Co. The recent one was in Suffolk County here on Long Island. It's mind boggling to me here since I live and hunt etc here on the island that someone would use a guide to hunt public land of that type. It's the pine barrens, its not like its the Adirondack park or even say 3000 acres of state land upstate where you might not be familiar with the area. That's why I want to know the name of the guide service. Someone got taken advantage of big time...

4. cwa1104sab

Sorry, just read the whole story. Thanks. It says waterfowlers edge. Thanks again

Bruno1 likes this.
  5. Rich5294p

Was gonna say it was at the end of the article. Lol

6. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Weren't they tied up with Knock'rm down at one time??

Hunt n' Fish likes this.
  7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I'd give them extra fines and hunting privileges taken away for at least a year on their phoney Posted signs alone!
    Summnabits.

8. Rich5294p

Not sure bay dog. The proprietors of each guide service was different to my knowledge. Maybe some people were linked to each other but I can't say for sure

9. pmcc

pmcc Senior Refuge Member

Did not see or read the article. What i dont understand is how a business can use state property for profit. You would need permits for every day used and also an insurance rider to cover you and the state.
    If I want to do a photoshoot in a state park it can be a pain in the _ _ _, getting all the right permits and insurance coverage.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

They were outlaw guides, so no laws applied to them.
    In their minds.

Bruno1 and Hunt n' Fish like this.